anarchy

Problem with 1990 G60

Hello everyone. New to these forums but glad I found them. I just got out of the military and want to drive my 1990 G60 again. It has been garage kept for the last 10 years.

I went to try to start it and the engine turned over fine but would not start. I pulled the fuel line to the injector rail and had my wife turn over the motor and noticed I am getting no gas. I vaguely remember hearing the fuel pump making noise when I turn the key but it is not doing that now. Should I be hearing the fuel pump when I turn the key to run?

I believe I have one of three problems but am hoping you guys at this forum can point me in the right direction.

1. Fuel pump relay is bad? If so is there one I can swap to try?

2. Fuel pump is bad?

3. Something is blocked from the tank to the injector rail?

Please help me out. I will post some pics on the site when I get a chance also.

Alright fellow welcome to the forum,

Can you hear the pump prime? Should prime for two seconds when you turn key to on postion

First thing check fuel pump relay,bottom row last on the right and change fuel filter.buy new one theyre the cheapest thing to replace first

The fuel pump may have seized after been left for 10 years in moisture when fuel separates.also check the strainer in the tank isnt blocked

Check wiring to the pump(after october 1989 fuel pumps are mounted in the fuel tank)

sounds silly but is there fuel in the tank?

Pretty sure there was fuel left in the car. And no I am not hearing the pump prime.

Is there another relay in the box that I can swap to test the pump?

Can you give me an idea what the best way to get inside the fuel tank? Thats one thing I havent done yet.

Thanks

If its not been used in 10 years flush it through with fresh petrol and change the oil before you try and start it.

Agree, this would be a must!

does sound like fuel pump relay, and yep, get that fuel out and changed, it can go 'off' after a year let alone 10!

no relays are the same as the fuel pump one, it has big old connectors as it takes a fair current though it, partly why they fail so often I think

10 years! Wow get that...

I reckon you may need your injectors stripping and rebuilding. The pintles can stick and they just won't move free.. Its the regular flow of fuel that keeps em lubricated and free.

Def oil change and brake fluid change and prob a coolant change.

Also oil can and clean oil and then wd40 and manually turn the engine over many times.. Socket on the lower pulley. The rings may well be stuck and gummed up.

Game on I would love to be there when she fires up.. I love my 60.

Fuel pump relay or the ECU relay as that provides the switching signal to the fuel pump relay IIRC (its late and I am tired and my head is full of VR stuff)

Thanks so much for the fast replies so far. Really glad I read this forum. Tomorrow I will grab a new FP relay and give it a shot. My G-ladder was also loosing oil through its seals before I garaged the car. I dont have the money to replace that any time soon but I read somewhere that I could use a different serpentine belt and just bypass the supercharger for now. If thats still the case that is what I will do.

80 dollars for a relay? is it made out of gold? im pretty sure you can get it alot cheaper