dalhalvaig

Refurbing BBS RS771s - should I split the centre from the rim

Hi - I've got a set of RS771s that I'm planning putting on the C. Am in the process of tidying up the scuffs, scratches and chips on them and am beginning to wonder if I should think about splitting the centre from the rim. Is this a no no unless you are a professional or is it a case of getting the special tool to fit the star shape in the head of the studs and getting on with it? If it's a case of getting the tool, any recommendations as to where to get one.

Cheers

D

If this is the 16in ones from the Mk4 or Mk3 anni they can be a pain in the hoop to get bolts out. If you can Id aviod it. You'll probably end up drilling a few out. Ive refurbed these wheels a few times and if you take your time they can be done without splitting them.

If this is the 16in ones from the Mk4 or Mk3 anni they can be a pain in the hoop to get bolts out. If you can Id aviod it. You'll probably end up drilling a few out. Ive refurbed these wheels a few times and if you take your time they can be done without splitting them.

Yes... that's the source of the wheels. I guess that the bolts are loctited in. My idea to take the centre out is that it's give me a cleaner finished article, but TBH, I don't want to start it if I end up drilling out bolts. When you've done them in the past, when you put the centre back into the rim, does it need careful alignment to get the centre properly centred? I realise that it has to line up with the valve hole - LOL

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

Its a spline bit you need........i have one you can borrow if you like? :)

Thanks for the offer - as you can see I'm in two minds about it. Might just get one of these to see if the bolts will move. If they are too tight, I think I'll avoid splitting them.

Cheers

D

PS the car's getting the ABS pump reconditioned ATM. Once it's back I'll put some suggestions on the Corrado Ecosse thread for a Scottish meet up.

I`ve got a set on mine just now ---had intended to refurb them too with a different coloured centre.

Can`t be ar**d now so I`m just looking around for something else !!!

Be interested to see what you decide to do !

I also have a set of these, which is why i bought the spline bit..........all the bolts came out ok :)

Its in a set, got it from Halfords............not sure of the size , i'll check when i get home..........your welcome to borrow it if you like mate :)

I`ve got a set on mine just now ---had intended to refurb them too with a different coloured centre.

Can`t be ar**d now so I`m just looking around for something else !!!

Be interested to see what you decide to do !

Did you get the Speedlines you were looking for?

What size is the spline bit and where did you get it?

The size is M8 CR-V , thats what it says on it :)

No or not yet,why do you know of some locally??

I've Speedlines on mine at the moment mmm...just wondering about a swap. what sort of condition are your wheels and tyres and what size of tyres do you have? It's just a thought at the moment, because i was thinking of keeping the speedlines for the winter.

I've Speedlines on mine at the moment mmm...just wondering about a swap. what sort of condition are your wheels and tyres and what size of tyres do you have? It's just a thought at the moment, because i was thinking of keeping the speedlines for the winter.

I might have a set in the pipeline just waiting for the guy to get back to me.

My plan was always to refurb the BBS but I need something to keep on the car to keep it mobile.

Topic side step alert...

How much and where is doing your ABS pump? :)

Caruth Jordanhill Garage in Glasgow is doing the work. They're sending the pump away to get reconditioned. One of the valves was showing up as inop on the analyser. If they can fix it the refurb costs £300 + vat, if they can't then it was going to be £500 for an off the shelf unit. I know you can get them (much) cheaper on ebay, but there's no guarantee they are any good. Whatever, hope to pick it up tomorrow so bound to be an £ouch moment.