Sign in to follow this  
Phil K

Good cheep websites for Headunits etc?

Hello chaps

Am thinking of upgrading my headunit to a MP3 player... have been looking at quite a sexy Pioneer unit - don't know the model number but it's a nice classic looking unit with two round nobs each side and a single line text display.in the middle.. or was thinking of the Sony one with the large TFT screen (again don't know a part number) these are priced at around £400 and £500 respectivley. I'd be impessed if anyone knows what the hell I'm on about but if you do and have any opinions of these units I'd be pleased to hear them...

Oh yeah, and if anyone has any good "lower than Halfords price" shops or sites that'd be great.

Thanks for your help

Phil

Gag!

The Pioneer P7500-MP at UNDER £200!!

On the Bass Junkies front page!!

hi phil. Try Max Power's web site, once there click on buying guide, shop, then ice retailers. Should be enough to get you started. I think sony head unit you mean is CDXM1000TF (£369 MCS GROUP) . You could always just use a search engine and type in sony CDXM1000TF and that will list some retailers. The only thing I would go to halfords for is a catalogue to look at stereo spec as there prices are mental ! :shock:

Thanks Jim, they all have what I want and OMG how much over priced are Halfords!!!! I wanna stay in and drool over the possibilities of head units now :lol: However I can hear a pint calling...

Greegs, will have to check that after the pub... Cheers though, sounds like a good place to start...

These are the ones that are in the running at the moment if anyone wants to pass judgement?

I think Kevhaywire has that top one...

I used to have a Pioneer unit and I couldn't fault it - sweet piece of kit! Wouldn't mind getting another and selling my current Sony one to be honest.

Have heard a lot of negative comments on the sound quality you get with Sony... I used to have a Sony MD head unit and was alwasy really pleased with it until I put a Kenwood CD in and WOW how much better did that sound!!!! Probably got something to do with CD V MD in the quality dept but has made me think twice about going for another sony...

Well I can't moan about the sound quality, and the headunit itself is very nice to look at etc - but the problem is its designed in such a way that you have to use the remote control to do anything on it.. the only buttons on it are volume up / down, source, and power off!

I guess I was just kinda used to the layout of my Pioneer unit as I had it for nearly a year and a half... plus I miss MP3 support soooo much! :(

Gag!

The Pioneer P7500-MP at UNDER £200!!

On the Bass Junkies front page!!

That's a superb deal!!!

Today only though. Just for comparison, cel have it for £260.

For anyone after an mp3 head unit, the Pioneer 7500 for under £200 is such a bargain!

Still can't fault my 7400, which Jim used to have also.

My Mate has the Pioneer one in his V8 BMW 730i and it's a very nice piece of kit... 8)

Build quality seems to be excellent, and the sound quality is very very good on MP3s and stunning with real CDs... 8)

I've not heard those Sony units, but I have heard a few others, and I didn't find the MP3 playback very good quality at all... :? Distinctly average... Although that screen is rather BLING! ;)

Stay away from sony units

Yes, some units look nice and have good features but the actual sound quality is poor for

what u pay.

I've got a screen in my corrado and thats good added the dsp to it, Clarion

Got an Alpine in my other car, Just payed £146, looked around was priced just over the £240 mark on some sites. t, and the sound quality is amazing. Not many features but but all i wanted was the quality, its got the same clarity to my screen which i payed a damp site more for

I think sound quality is the main issue here and I'm prepared to sacrifice bling in favour of quality... So basically I should be losing sleep over the pioneer options...? I really like the DEHP77MP so will be happy to go for it... Kev if you're reading - do you have this and if so, how do you rate it?

Thanks for everyones help so far...

Phil

Phil K,

There's always Let's Buy Caraudio. They're offering the Pioneer for the same price

as CarAudioDirect are + £10 for delivery. I am just adding this URL for future reference, as I got my Infinitys and my Kenwood

HU from them for significantly less than anyone else could offer at that time. I know their layout and looks aren't the best, but they usually

are doing some really good deals.

The Pioneer looks classy, hope it sounds nice as well :)

Cheers,

Rica

Right then after spending too long trawling through various sites I think I'll settle for the Pioneer unit which I've found for a reasonable £228.99 from letsbuycaraudio.com Thank you for that link Ka` they were the cheepest for this unit and fairly competitive on the other two. Having heard all the feedback on the Sony units I definately wouldn't go for one - it's a shame that a company that is renound for quality hardwear can get it so wrong when it comes to car stereos. They seem to be all about looks rather than quality and the fact that you can't remove the face panel on the cdxm1000tf bothers me, even if it has a security code it wouldn't stay in the car longer than five minutes and you'd be looking for a new window :roll:

Anyways thanks for all your help - will let you know how it sounds once I've got it in...

Phil

Eh up Phil,

As per last night's conversation, can also recommend http://www.letsbuycaraudio.com . Got a 6090R, 140 quid off what Hal-stitch-up-yer-gran-fords wanted. Woo! P.S - I wonder what the Polo driver said last night ? :shock:

Laters

Randal