bobbymkII

9a 16v new fuel pump etc started but now wont start???

i have a 1993 rado 9a 16v...the fuel pump packed in last week so fitted new intank fuel pump/sender and the inline fuel pump...fitted it all tonight and got the car started..it was running ruff...and died...so primed the fuel pump again and started 1st time again but running very ruff(been off road for 7 months)...and again i let my foot of the revs to see if wont settle its self and cut out....now it will not start...will turn over all day long but just wont fire up...get a little as if its about to then nothing...??? any clues be gratefull..

cheers

bobby

might have made the plugs damp with fuel, let them dry out. If its been 7 months it will take a lot of cranking 2 3 mins worth

yes fresh fuel as i knew it was low on fuel so filled a can and stuck that it as well ...wierd how it started then died ...still will give it another go tomorrow fingers crossed it fires up...as needs m.o.t for some summer loving....will update tomorrow hopefully with good news...cheers for replys

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

i see this could possibly be the flap inside the metering head ???? bit sticky if car been sitting for so long...

checked metering head plus metal flap all good...fitted fully charged battery all good...checked was getting fuel through system and presure all good...checked lam/sensor all good....checked all breather pipes all good....so checked distribution cap and rotor arm Not so good???? the rotor arm looks fine...the dis/cap on other hand was looking used and abused...the 4 brass metal points all burnt and scorched??? could this stop car from starting???? ive seen worse and cars in past have been fine???

The burnt bits are from the arc of the spark jumping from king lead to cylinder lead points which is normal.every car with a dizzy will have that.... so long as the carbon isnt too deep,and isnt tracking down the dizzy cap it should be fine.if in doubt change cap and rotor arm or clean points up with a file

Did you bleed the injectors?crack the high pressure pipes off on the injectors then turn over til fuel comes out at regular rate and tighten up one by one.

The burnt bits are from the arc of the spark jumping from king lead to cylinder lead points which is normal.every car with a dizzy will have that.... so long as the carbon isnt too deep,and isnt tracking down the dizzy cap it should be fine.if in doubt change cap and rotor arm or clean points up with a file

Did you bleed the injectors?crack the high pressure pipes off on the injectors then turn over til fuel comes out at regular rate and tighten up one by one.

thanks will try injectors tomorrow .....didnt bleed injectors??? didnt think would be needed and have no idea how to...do have a mate comming round on saturday so hopefully he can figure out whats up...has built a few cars so should be easy for him id imagine....

its best way to get air out of mechanical injectors as the air compresses inside them so they dont open properly.also less strain on the starter motor as you turn it over less.

Just grab two spanners one to hold,one to undo nut,crack back of injectors off(dont undo the nut,just a bit so fuel starts to leak) then grab a rag(fuel leakage,you dont want a fire)

Get buddy to turn over engine and when fuel starts to come out constant tigthen them up one by one. be careful fuel is at high pressure and you dont want fuel gettn injected under your skin. had a guy on injector course before i did mine loose a finger because it went under his skin,to save his life

done some more digging and this poped up....

The Hall sender usually announces its imminent failure with some very rough running (random misfires) interspersed with backfires and subsequently (and very soon after) the engine dies.

possible cause after car sitting for so long....hence it did start then do as it says above..

Hall sender died because car has been laid up?very unusual. id say it was more because one of the pintle needles have stuck if youve left it stood for a while due to moisture.

Did you purge the old fuel out of the tank before putting fresh fuel in?or did you just throw fresh stuff in the tank with the old?

had mate out today done my discs and pads and ran vag com on car shows no faults nothing zero...so good news...he checked it over and narrowed down to only possibly cause being sparke plugs goosed....as getting fuel ...getting spark at disctributor and end of lead so doing all of what it should except fire up so stick new spark plugs in tomorrow and fingers crossed....suppose leaving a rado parked up for 6-7 months doesnt help...but moving in right direction