Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Dash Switch for central locking?

My last car had an alarm fitted that could lock/unlock the doors when you were driving, by pressing the key fob.

I really miss this feature (especially living in manchester!) as my C's alarm can't do this.

Is there a way I could hook up a switch on the dashboard to do this?

Would it be a case of wiring a switch to the two wires that run from the drivers door handle? would bridging this circuit activate/deactivate the CL with the ignition on/engine running?

My C has CL, EW, and non-std Alarm & Immobiliser.

Cheers for any help,

Andy

yeah, pressing the door pin down will lock the car while you're driving... I know, I do it whenever I drive my C in Manchester! ;)

There's a thread in the Ice and secure section about the colours of the wires in the drivers door for the central locking activation from an alarm system... It gives enough details for you to be able to work out how to put a switch in to lock/unlock the doors... 8) It's something I'm thinking of doing along with removing the door pins and putting in some LEDs linked to the alarm... ;)

Your best bet would be to use an electric window switch. If you get a VW one it will match the other switches and if your lucky and have a blanked off switch hole on the dash it'll just click in.

The wiring is prety simple. Connect the common terminal to +ive, the up terminal to the unlock wire on the car, the down terminal to the lock wire of the car and insulate the other two terminals.

One important safety issue to check though. If the car has dead locking make sure you can unlock the doors from inside with the handle. You dont want to be stuck in a burning car!!!!!!!

One important safety issue to check though. If the car has dead locking make sure you can unlock the doors from inside with the handle. You dont want to be stuck in a burning car!!!!!!!

Very good point... 8)

that's a good question, and one I don't actually know the answer to... :?

I've heard people talk / seen things written about it on Corrados, but I've never actually tested to see if mine has or not... :roll:

One to check at the weekend I think... ;)

Do C's have dead locking?

Tailgate definitely has but I'm not sure about the doors bacause I don't have a key for them :?

Cheers, sounds quite straightforward then.

I've actually bought a CL switch off a Lupo, it has 2 buttons, one for lock, one for unlock, I guess it should work as well as a window switch?

I will check if it has dead locking!!

thanks

hi guys. dunno if this helps alarming but my g60 has dead locks. when the car is locked you hear the pumps then about 30 seconds later you hear them a second time. after the second time no matter how hard you pull the door pins will not come up until either the key or remote is used. dont know if this is a standard thing but the car is a late k-reg if it helps

All new cars with dead locks require an ignition override by law, so when you turn the ignition on, the deadlocks are releaced. I dont know if early deadlock cars have that feature so its essential that its tested if your fitting switches to lock your self in.

Another thing I ment to say to Andy T:

Most car alarms have the ability to lock/unlock the doors with the ignition. Its worth finding out if yiur system can be set up for it before you spend hours fitting the switch.

Stel g60, yeah mine does the same after 30 seconds, I didnt know what it was though!

I know i've locked the car when driving by using the door pins, but I cant remember if i've unlocked them with the engine still running or not. I'll have to check that tonight.

My alarm/immob is an old-ish Meta system with only one button on the remote, so I doubt it would have the door locking ability without turning the alarm on, what do you think ?

cheers

Do C's have dead locking?

I'm not sure about the doors bacause I don't have a key for them :?

that's a good question, and one I don't actually know the answer to... :?)

All we need now is for Kev to be stumped and we have just made history!! :lol:

My alarm/immob is an old-ish Meta system with only one button on the remote, so I doubt it would have the door locking ability without turning the alarm on, what do you think ?

No your right Meta are one of the few that don't.

well i think you know enough now :)

simply put a switch on the wires for close and open, change the (press) switch and it will open and close when you want it..