Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

uprating the headlight loom EASY OR HARD?

Anyone got a guide to upgrade the headlight loom - is it a complicated job or suitable for idiots like myself?

If you have the time and the patience all of the parts should cost you less than 15 quid from maplins etc..

At the simplest, it's one relay and four wires, a feed direct from the battery to the relay, an earth from the relay, one of your existing dip or main beam feeds to the light unit (redirect to relay to use to switch the relay) and the feed out from the relay to your lights.

You will need to duplicate this if you want to relay both dip and main beam, but the relays are less than 2 quid each.

You should also put an inline fuse in the feed from the battery to the relay (some more expensive relays have a piggy back fuse built into them)

you can make a neater job by carefully fitting weatherproof connectors and heatshrink tubing etc.. or it may be possible to source connector blocks that match the cars existing headlight connectors to save cutting into the existing headlight feeds.

Time consuming to do neatly but not technically difficult at all.

David.

You could try to make one yourself...and quite a few people in here have done succesfully...

If i was you, i would save the time and hassle and buy a ready made job from H100VW aka Gavin, as it comes with great instructions, and is ready to fit.

As for "is it easy or hard?" i would say definitely Easy. You can do a search in this forum and find loads of info on this mod

Hope this helps.

PS.... its of the best mods you can do to your car... the difference is well worth any hassles you encounter along the way.

get Gavins (H100VW) kit, its easier than chasing up all the parts.

and as for ease of fitting, it is a doddle, simply plug it into the lights, connect to battery, tidy up with cable ties, and your done.

less than 10 mins :)