fla

polished centre console

I've seen quite a few cars which have their centre consoles finished with a highly polished glassy effect finish. Looks quite nice and as i've got a spare centre section i was wondering on how this is achieved? Looks as though the plastic has been made VERY even almost like super polished gloss paint. Was thinking of doing this and illuminating the vent direction symbols. Suggestions?

have just sprayed my scuttle panel in a stonechip resistant plastic gloss paint . could be the one your looking for its made by simoniz. Its acrylic so its quick drying aswell. regards rob

Have you got any pictures of said polished consoles? I don't think I have seen this before.

Thanks Rob. Ollievr6 - will dig some out, i've seen them in some higher end cars and as a mod for 'standard' cars. There was something recently for the Yaris i saw on ebay.

We did a smooth dash conversion on a Polo project a few years ago with excellent results. Basically you want to get rid of as much of the grain on the plastic as possible using sanding discs. Start with around 240 grit and work your way down to 600 grit. Stage 2 is to plastic prime the plastic to ensure that primer and paint will stick. Stage 3 is to spray the plastic with several coats of high build primer. Stage 4 is to guide coat and flat the primer with various grades of wet and dry. Start with around 600 and finish off with 1000 grade paper. Stage 5 is colour and lacquer which will need to be de-nibbed and polished to achieve a finish comparable with your exterior bodywork.

This is probably not what you wanted to hear but If you want a flawless smooth finish that's the way to go. Like everything else, the final result will reflect the time and prep you have put in.

very useful input there leon263, thanks. You dont by chance have any pics of the various stages?

Afraid not, it was a few years back and the car has now gone too. My son's a metal worker/ spray painter in a body shop so it was pretty much second nature to him. The result was pretty special but it was very time consuming and the body shop skills certainly helped.