thegrouch

Timing Chains - I think I've f#@*$d it up!

Right, I'm in the middle of replacing the chains and tensioners on my VR6 which I thought I was pretty confident doing using the very helpful guide on here. I've managed to get the chains and tensioners back on and everything turned and lined up as it should and I was pretty chuffed! Now here comes the bad bit - When I was tightening the intermediate sprocket bolt, the flywheel locking tool slipped causing the sprockets to turn and plcing tension on the back of the simplex chain and the head gasket, I backed it off and went to re check the timing again but somehow something must of slipped and with the cams and crankshaft pulley at TDC the intermediate shaft timing marks were out. I then removed the chains in order to line up the intermediate sprockets but for some reason I cant even remember now, I turned the crankshaft pulley without the chains attatching it to the camshafts and now I've ended up with the cams in different positions to each other, the crankshaft pulley won't turn 360 and I'm worried the pistons are all in the wrong positions. I tried to turn the cams using a spanner on the flats but they dont seem to want to turn and now basically I think I've ****ed it right up. I know its longwinded but I really need some help!

you've turned the crank/ pistons and they've hit an extended valve, what i'd do;

- hope valves aren't bent, otherwise strip the head off and check!

- take the cams out and unhook top chain (untighten top tensioner)

- rotate crank to tdc and check the groove on the intermediate gear

- refit cams and top chain with alignment tool

- retension and check timing a few times.

hopefully i havn't missed anything out :)

you've turned the crank/ pistons and they've hit an extended valve, what i'd do;

- hope valves aren't bent, otherwise strip the head off and check!

- take the cams out and unhook top chain (untighten top tensioner)

- rotate crank to tdc and check the groove on the intermediate gear

- refit cams and top chain with alignment tool

- retension and check timing a few times.

hopefully i havn't missed anything out :)

/\ Just as he said but with added praying :)

It's unlikely you have caused any damage ,assemble it as said above,put covers on and leave the motor supported and do a compression check if you want to make sure

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Hmmm thanks for the advice, hopefully I won't have bent a valve as I only turned the pulley with a spanner and stopped as soon as I felt resistance. If I understand right, if I take the cams out,and turn the crankshaft pulley 2 tdc, the pistons will be in the correct position and I just need 2 refit the cams in the correct position ie so the camlocks fit? What alignment tool do I need? I know they say if u ask u shouldn't be doing it but paying someone isn't an option and i'd like 2 think I'm not totally useless!

The Alignment tool is an L shaped piece of plastic or metal that slots into the grooves on the cams thus keeping them level and unable to rotate. If you don't have one you can fab something out of metal to do the job.

Fleabay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VR6-Camshaft-Alignment-Engine-Repair-3268-Cam-Tool-VW-/170620273753?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27b9c2c459

No need to take cams out, just turn the crank and cams the same rotation if any resistance is felt back either cam or crank off until there is non,its better doing it it practice,them when you have have both at tdc then carry on as before.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Edited by CorradoVR6-Turbo

as James says would be easier without removing the cams, make sure you can see the groove on that intermediate chain gear when both the flywheel and pully marks are at TD.

Ahh got the alignment tools just making sure I wasnt missing something! Bit dark 4 messing with it now, I'll get on it 2mrw. Never fails 2 impress me the knowledge on here,cheers again 4 the help

I hope that you haven't torn the headgasket (where it stands out unprotected by the timing cover) when the tension went onto the wrong side of the chain. If it did, you'll end up with an oil leak.

I too think it highly unlikely that you have bent a valve just by turning it with a spanner.

Best wishes

RB

I doubt it, the metal HGs now are pretty tough, but good call, worth a double check.

I bent a valve turning the cam into resistance. Nice little dink in the piston crown to go with it. I'm glad I took the head off to confirm because it was proper banana'd. If I'd started it like that......hmmmm

I don't normally recommend turning the cams by spanner a full turn, but turn crank off TDC by 90 degrees, liberally soak the cam lobes with oil and turn them both a full revolution. The pistons will be well away from interference, giving you breathing space to check the valves. You will get spring resistance as you turn the cams but if you feel like you've hit a brick wall, a valve stem is very likely binding, which means it's bent.