Pat_McCrotch

'Another' car...

Seeing as I'd 'finished' the Corrado and the paint job immenent. I've gotten seriously bored with not being able to tinker with anything...so I've just bought another front wheel drive legend to sit alongside the Corrado. The Honda Accord Type R.

I purposely bought one which wasn't perfect as I wanted to bring one back to it's former glory, this one had unfortunately been walked over by a student but has a nigh-on full service history and a good 80% of the dents you could make invisible with dent devils and £250 cash-in-hand.

The sound of the VTEC is amazing, and the Limited Slip Diff awesome!

Total price...£1070 ;)

It's rated up there with the Corrado VR6 and Integra Type R as the top 3 best handling front wheel drive cars of all time ;)

"The Honda Accord Type-R (ATR) was produced from 1998-2003 using the CH1 Accord chassis and sold in UK/EU markets, the JDM Accord Euro-R uses the CL1 chassis. Using a naturally aspirated 2.2 litre 4-cylinder DOHC H22A VTEC motor which produces 220 bhp (220ps)and the EDM was (212ps) @ 7,200 rpm and 164 lb·ft (222 N·m) @ 6,700 rpm. The Type-R Accord model is differentiated by a number of sporting features including, but not limited too, stiffer suspension, limited-slip-differential, twin-piston brakes, dual exhaust system, Recaro seats and a leather trimmed Momo steering wheel."

"That'd turbo well" :D Drop it round for some Fishywick action!

Don't they have double wishbones all round? The handling should be phenomenal.

Not sure I agree about the VTEC tbh. On the Civic Type R I drove it seemed to be nothing more than a volume level for the induction roar. There was no appreciable gain in acceleration. Not that I could detect at least. Still, that was 10 years ago now, so I'm willing to give one another go :D

Just can't believe the kind of car you can buy for a grand these days.. it's ridiculous! WANT! :)

No it's just what *HE* can get for a grand these days mate..... I've never seen an Accord type R that's worth buying for that sort of money.

That or through someone he knows :D That A6 Avant 1.8T Quattro he got as a trade-in, for a grand, was an epic buy. A *REALLY* good car for the money. You and I would need £3K - £4k to get one of that standard through the 'normal' channels.

And this is what bugs me right now..... there's this perception of tumbling car prices because of fuel and insurance. Bullsheet they are! The big engined gas guzzlers you'd expect would struggle to sell are still commanding rich prices.

I dunno mate.. I've seen some frankly stupid good deals for the same price as a reasonable VR! :)

That or through someone he knows :D That A6 Avant 1.8T Quattro he got as a trade-in, for a grand, was an epic buy. A *REALLY* good car for the money. You and I would need £3K - £4k to get one of that standard through the 'normal' channels.

And this is what bugs me right now..... there's this perception of tumbling car prices because of fuel and insurance. Bullsheet they are! The big engined gas guzzlers you'd expect would struggle to sell are still commanding rich prices.

I bloody hope so if / when I come to sell the S4!! Ive got a feeling that may not be the case though with £450+ tax etc and 22mpg.

That one is in better nick than Neil's! :lol:

Whilst underneath Neil's last night helping him with an oil change, it's not the double wishbone chassis, sadly. Despite that it drives absolutely superb. I think Honda's engines stand the test of time, but the car's themselves don't seem to. A 130K old Corrado looks and feels a good deal tighter than a 130K old Honda!

A 130K old Corrado l...... feels a good deal tighter than a 130K old Honda!

That surprises me!

I like Accord Type-R. For FWD family car I also quite like the ST220 (saloon please, not hatchback). Not as cheap though.

I'm LOVING this car :) The Corrado's steering felt soggy in comparison, although I haven't fitted the new suspension yet to be fair.

As a driving experience everything is spot on. The car itself, especially the interior, feels like Honda only designed it to last for 80,000 miles. I suppose it's that Japanese mentality, that a car is only good for 6 years. Hence why so many of there Used cars end up here!!

Despite that, it's a hoot to drive and the fact the car is shabby means you love it but not the in the perfectionist way you'd love a Corrado. It's a great daily :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch