neuon2003

How to convert front 312 brakes to 288

I currently have a 312 front brake set-up using calipers etc. from a TT 225, all sat under some 16" Compomotive MO's. I am looking to put some 15" Speedlines back on and am not clear what I need to do to drop back to 288. I have done a bit of reading but am not clear. Is this just a case of the following, or something else:

1. New disks (Golf Mk3 VR6 or Mk4 228's)?

2. New carriers (again, off what)?

3. New pads (Golf Mk3 VR6)?

Would I need to change the offset on the calipers by removing the washers which are on there now?

As you can tell, I know nothing :shrug:

Cheers,

Andrew

late mk3 vr/gti discs and carriers - pads should be the same as you're not changing the calipers.

your best bet would be to swap with someone with a 288 set up. the 312 carriers are really hard to find on their own as everyone wants to upgrade but always have the calipers already. so you should find what you need with no trouble at all.

Many thanks. That's very helpful. From a quick look on Ebay, late Mk3 VR6 set-ups seem to go for about £50.

Cheers,

Andrew

Just thought i'd add to this, if you are using mk4 discs you will need to keep the washers, if you use mk3 ones you won't. If your interested I can get you some carriers and possibly discs for a part ex on yours? cash your way of course.

Just thought i'd add to this, if you are using mk4 discs you will need to keep the washers, if you use mk3 ones you won't. If your interested I can get you some carriers and possibly discs for a part ex on yours? cash your way of course.

Thanks for that on the discs. That clarifies something I thought I had read about offsets, hence the question in my original post. So if I keep the offset calipers and use Mk 4 288 discs, they will not foul on the Speedlines? I'll also need new wheel bolts as the Compomotives use spacers.

The part-ex offer is very kind, but I am keeping the 312 carriers. This is just a temporary change and they will be going back on at some point. But I'll give you a shout if that changes.

Cheers,

Andrew