Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

WHAT a DISASTER - immediate aid required

Here's a tale of recent woe:

My heater on my 95 VR6 was only working on speed 4, so after consulting Corrado Forum pages, I checked the connector behind the twistknob and thought it was okay. So then I spent three hours changing the thermal fuse in the resistor unit (very good guide by the way).

The problem remained so I decided to fiddle with the copper plate behind the twistknob and found out that this was the problem after all!!!

However, The Story Doesnt End There...

I managed to get speeds 2-4 inclusive and I only needed speed one and I was done!

Whilst trying to fiddle around bending the copper contacts IT BROKE OFF

So five hours later, the front of my C is in bits and Ive lost all 1-4 speed controls and I can't take my C out in this 'frozen-gnat's-genital' type weather

So its in the garage in pieces

Please help me

Do I now have to replace the whole heater control assembly?????

If so, How do i get the bugger out?

Anyone know of any salvage spares I can use ?

A guiding light would be most welcome

Sorry, but I can not offer you a solutions to the problem. Actually I am in the same boat you are or I should say was, now yours is a little worse. My Heater and Ac only works on position 4 like yours did. What was causing that on yours? Was it just bad continuity between the switch.

Please let me know what you were doing to get the the rest of the switch settings to work.

Thanks

KTVAN

the main problem is the copper contact between the semicircular contact plate and flexible copper contact connected to the dial mechanism.

You need to bend the flexible copper contact that rotates, BUT DO NOT BEND THE SEMICIRCULAR CONTACT PLATE ATTACHED TO THE UNIT. This is fixed and is very fatiguable, one bend it could snap off leaving you in my position!!

The rotating copper contact lies in between two sets of contacts and must connect with them both inorder to operate the fan. Therefore you must bend the contact gently so that its two ends are bent up and down respectively to bridge the gap between the semicircular plate above and the deeper contacts beneath

Remember that the rotating copper contact lies underneath the semicircular fixed copper plate so you will need to twist the dial to position zero to access the rotating contact. Use copper grease as well, as the contact is usually worn.

Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK

LET ME KNOW HOW YOU GET ON