wy906

Sudden lost of drive at @75mph

Driving along on motorway, on three separate occasions there was a sudden lost of drive, each lasting fewer than half a second. On each occasion the engine speed was at around 3500-4000 rpm, speed at around 75-85 mph. There was no warning lights on dashboard, and oil temp/level, coolant temp/level were all fine. There was no loss of electric (CD player was on).

Road condition was damp on two occasions and dry on one. On all occasions the engine speed dropped of by around 250 rpm. MPG was normal (indicants took place during a 370-mile round trip to Bristol on Sat and Sun, car returned with 30.4 mpg)

I had since driven at speed in excess of 115 mph and also taken the engine to red line on a few occasions at 2nd and 3rd gear, and the engine felt fine and smooth.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

***SEE UPDATE BELOW***

Edited by wy906

Have a look at the leads and coilpack- similar to what happened to mine when the coilpack was shot.

Otherwise, could be worth checking the fuel pump relay 167 and ecu relay 109.

This happen to me in my vr and once filled up with fuel seems (fingers crossed) to have sorted itself I put it down to crap fuel

Update

Did a twenty-mile journey yesterday, the engine cut out FOUR times, each time without warning. The car was running along fine and all of the sudden the rev counter would read zero; I tried putting the foot down on the accelerator; clutch in/out; nothing. I stopped the car and tried to restart but it wouldn’t. Electricity was fine as the wipers, headlights, CD player were all working.

I was lucky the road wasn’t that busy otherwise it would have been really dangerous.

I switched everything off; left it for 30 sec to a minute, mysteriously it started again.

Been told that it could be the cam-angle sensor…….

I'm baffled. :(

ecu relay as suggested above - 109. About £12 from the dealer. Do it without fail before you get to a dangerous situation, if nothing to rule it out.

I also experienced this problem as in the first post - loss of power for a second or so whilst cruising along the motorway. It started after I went through a fairly deep puddle at speed, and continued until it stopped raining, so it's definitely water-related. I'm guessing coilpack connections.

Thanks everyone.

Just picked up an ECU relay 109 from dealer; £17 inc VAT, part no 1J0906381A

I’ll have it changed later if the weather’s good.

mine seems to be doing the same but as soon as i get loss of power the abs light comes on and stays on is the main ecu connected to the abs ecu ?

Changed the ECU relay last night and then went for a 60-mile drive and the car ran fine.

It’s a win. (At least for now!) :)

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this thread.