MikeVR6

VAG-COM Error 00527

Installed VAGCOM on my little netbook last night and gave the Corrado a quick scan. The car is idling and driving ok. Only problem at the moment is high Oil Temps, I think due to the location of the Mocal cooler. I'll open another thread for that one.

Anyway. One fault found.

Control Module Part Number: 021 906 258 CP

Component and/or Version: MOTOR 2,8L 6-Zyl.

Software Coding: PMC 1 HS

Work Shop Code: 0261203565

1 Fault Found:

00527 - Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor (G72)

30-00 - Open or Short to B+

Anyone seen this before? Searching the Forum didn't turn up much.

G72 is located on the battery side of the intake manifold just below the vacuum pipe for the brake servo. Part No. 046 905 379.

Standard checks are;

1) Temp Sensor G72 has failed. Check - at 50'C internal is resistance is 700 - 900 ohms, 100'C 175 - 225 ohms.

2) Connector at the sensor in the manifold is disconnected

3) Wire has grounding or is broken or pin is pushed back in connector or at the engine ECU.

Black wire is ground

Blue/Green stripe is signal wire direct to engine ECU connector, pin 36. One in line plug break at the main engine connector, pin 42

Considering the fault only considers its u/s, not how the sensor has failed, ie. open circuit or short. The ECU is seeing either hot air in the manifold or cold. So either cold start up is poor or hot running is poor. DVM reading is needed to know what its state is to fully understand.

I'm getting very hot oil temps on long runs on the motorway. 128 degrees @ 80mph for say 20 miles or so. I was thinking this was due to lack of airflow to my Mocal cooler.

Could this sensor also cause that?

After changing the sensor, my temps returned to normal. Turns out my fans weren't coming on when the car was driving, but they were working on over run when I parked up.

just out of interest, if you have a mocal i wouldnt have thought the fans would come on anyway at motorway speeds? Did you open the bonnet when you got these oil temp readings - you'd certainly feel 128C over 100C ! Just wondering if it was just an error on the gauge? I had 122-124C a while back which scared the life out of me, but when i opened the bonnet it didnt feel anything near that. Swopped the oil temp sender on mine, and put on a new spade an it was all fine.