Kenich

Are most rados generally past it / riddled with rust?

being frank about it, if you mention rust on this particular forum, i feel like you're frowned upon as owning a lesser vehicle, whether you've sorted it or not. in reality I suspect for those who aren't crawling under their motors on a regular basis there will be surprises lurking.

Myself and others have mentioned rust and the worst spots a few times, and yep they all have it now, unless they've been hardly used and garaged for over 15 years, even then there's one or two concours winners on here that have had a few rust nasties appear.

In general anything at the very front or the very back of the car, the rear arch lower areas, filler neck/body area and the subframe can be pretty worse for wear.

There's a few body weld points that are prone to corrosion starting, like the rear inner sill and of course any areas of the sill area that get the underseal bashed, either from stones or poorly placed metal jack supports. The B pillar on the doors rusts underneath the rubber glass surround too.

Then lastly the dreaded corrosion in the front screen gutter, usually the result of paint damage from screen fitters.

I'm sure you are right though, corrosion may very quickly need a subforum of it's own although a lot of cars seem to be broken for parts well before the corrosion is more than a few quids worth of welding.

Corrosion has to be treated properly, even my minty fresh 16vg60 is showing some nasty spots in some places and the only way to get rid of it is to grind it all out, treat it with some rust killing product, paint it with a zinc based primer (I use Zinga as it actually bonds to the steel) and then topcoat.

Cars do go rusty, although Corrados are a lot more durable than other vehicles of the era, mk 3 Astra, Probe, Calibra etc.

serious rust in post MK2 VWs is nearly always caused by accident repairs or neglect. Neglect as in not treating stone chips or other paint damage quickly enough. Case in point being a few Corrados on here which had completely rotten A pillars, caused by incompetent screen fitters damaging the paint.

As already mentioned, the Corrado has very few rust hot spots due to poor design / drainage. The last time I was under a MK3 golf (3 years younger than my Corrado), huge great big chunks of rusty floor panels were literally held in place by the underseal.

I've yet to see a Corrado as bad as that due to natural decay.

As already mentioned, the Corrado has very few rust hot spots due to poor design / drainage.

Sorry am i missing something :lol: but wouldnt that mean good design / drainage?