SIMONG

4 motion's

have recently been thiunking about 4 motions, mainlky a bora.

just wondering if anyone has one or has experienced one and can give me any views or opions on themk.

also im finding it hard to write in the "post" box so if there are spelling mistakes sorryh!

---------- Post added at 08:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

finding it hard as i cangt see what im typing

Nice specced cars with a lovely engine but they're just so heavy, and wallowy on standard suspension, they improve a lot with it uprated though.

Had 2 Golfs and they are great cars. Only need uprated suspension and thats about it. Only thing that really goes are the coilpacks. 4wd is amazing in the snow, dont expect anymore that 30mpg, average about 26mpg.

yeah i woyuld look to lower a bit anyway, good spec car and you get a lot for your money, ubt £460 on road tax!

no

no thanks! that has put me right off, that more then my insurance im paying on the G.

Tax is 255 as they are pre 2006. I absolutely love my 4mo. So smooth and effortless. Quite fast. 4wd. Lots of torque. Understated. High level of equipment. Very comfortable.

yeah i thoght about a 1999/2000 year so it would be in the cheaper tax range.

@ Portent. is that for a year? according to autotrader its a tax group "M" and then on direct.gov it gives price range's for tax an it says anything registered after 1 april 2001 in tax range "M" is £460 a year

Yes that's for a year. Actually I've just checked and it's gone up to £260.

The bands aren't as simple as pre and post 2001. It's slightly more complex:

pre-March 2001 = £215

1st March 2001 to 22nd March 2006 = emissions based but capped at bank K

23rd March 2006 onwards = emmissions based but no cap

More detail here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

Because my 4Mo was registered in 2003 it is emissions based but is capped at band K... £260 per year.

Nice, here was me thinking that I would have to pay the £460 for the Audi but its ONLY £260. Bargin....

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

****, no Im band M. £460 or £253 for 6 months....bloody hell.

i don't see the point of lugging around 4WD system all the time, maybe if you do a lot of race launches or snow driving, otherwise i'd prefer the extra mpg from a fwd

Personally I'd avoid the V5's. They sound nice but have the downside of a large engine (fuel economy) without all the upside (lovely smooth engine, huge torque). Also they don't have 4Motion (4WD) which is a big plus in my book.

Until you have owned one you dont realise how nice it is to have. Id have a 4mo over a 1.8T anyday of the week and ive owned an S3 so I know what both are like to drive.

out of interest, if you where doin around 60mph on the motorway in 6th what sort of mpg would you get?

i don't see the point of lugging around 4WD system all the time, maybe if you do a lot of race launches or snow driving, otherwise i'd prefer the extra mpg from a fwd

In the case of Haldex, I tend to agree. It is indeed dead weight 90% of the time.....but 4WD VWs feel totally different to the FWD VWs to drive. Heavy yeah, but very sure footed, reassuring, planted and solid. Great ride quality too because of the 4 independant struts.

I wouldn't own one though. I've always seen the appeal of the big 6 + 4WD but in a MK4 platform, no thanks. Being in the South East, bad weather is rare, so the 4WD system would literally only get used for traffic light grand prix, which probably equates to 0.2% of my total driving. Just not worth carrying all that bulk around as you say.