Ron Burgundy

I want to lower 1 inch or so how do I do this ?

I have done a lot of looking around the net and cant find any real anwser to my questions.

I dont want to slam it, just get rid of the gap between the wheel and fender.

1 Can I just buy lowering springs and keep stock shocks? I'm not as woried about ride quality as much as stance. Im not looking to race it or anything.

2 Do i have to buy new struts or change camber?

3 What is the best way to get a lower stance on a budget? Dont say cut the springs in know at least that much.

Please help out a newbie. This is my first car all have had are big F150 trucks.

hi ron and welcome ,,,personaly if you want to lower your ride and keep the comfort id go coilovers cheap set these days are fetching around 160/180 mark ,,,or you could go with the shortened springs{more work involved} but a lot cheaper ,,im shore some of the guys on here will come up with some other ideas all the best mate

Just go with a decent set of coilys , buy cheap and regret it when the ride is crap or buy good and be happy with what you have spent your cash on and not have to worry about it again

Example ..... On my raddo takes me about an hour to adjust the full height of the car because i consider them good suspension ( they are ap coilys ) at around 400 quid now thats not bad at all

Now my mate has a 2002 audi a4 an it took a full day of fuking about just to adjust it because they are cheapo coils and the threads are tiny so adjusting take an age

Save your self th hassle mate and bit the bullet you will enjoy it more

I hate cheap coilovers, they are just nasty and will not last that long. Im still an advocate of "normal spring and damper " kits but if its looks you are only really interested in then the coilover will probably be the way to go. Seeing as your in Atlanta Im doubting there is any salt on the roads in winter so they should last a bit better than they do in the UK. Buy the best you can afford though.

Wow thats a lot cheper then i expected only $575. That makes coilovers much more availble to me. The ones I was looking at were 1500 to 3000 dollars thats insane.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

I hate cheap coilovers, they are just nasty and will not last that long. Im still an advocate of "normal spring and damper " kits but if its looks you are only really interested in then the coilover will probably be the way to go. Seeing as your in Atlanta Im doubting there is any salt on the roads in winter so they should last a bit better than they do in the UK. Buy the best you can afford though.

Coil overs were not my main choice. And looks are the only thing just higher on my list then adjustible ride hight. But then redborbet showed me a set much cheaper then I had expected(1500 dollars lower). I would like to do lowering springs. And new shocks only if I had to. If I got new springs do you think I should go for new shocks or could the stock ones handle the heaver load im not sure?

Do springs ride better then coilys? And if so in what way?

Tbf id say a new set of coilys are gonna ride better than the origional old suspension as its old and replacing the full lot would probs feel much better someone correct me if im wrong but thaught lowering springs on standard shocks made everything a bit bouncy

If its looks your after mate coilys all the way as you can adjust and tweak the height till you get it just as you want it , springs on the other hand are fitted and non adjustable so if you dont like how its sat when your done your stuck with it that way

Coilys all the way buddy

Im with Coullstar on this, cheap coilovers are nasty and ride rather badly - they bounce (based on having V-maxx coilovers). If money cant stretch to a decent set of coilovers id go for a decent set of springs and shocks eg Weitech which are only as expensive as a cheap set of coilovers i believe.

I also wouldnt go putting lowering springs on standard shocks as this can cause the shocks to bottom out and wear out.

i had this problem with my 1995 VR6, only quoting the year and model as it seemed to make a difference.

i tried weitec -40mm springs and wasn't happy, seem to lower way too much, so tried Pi springs and they were the same, -90mm it seemed to lower the front, the back was good.

i also bought all the different types of spring plates and top mounts and couldn't get it right, i was told alot of the aftermarket springs are made to suit early corrados, maybe they aren't so high as standard.

i ended up getting KW coilovers, and the height is right, but i'm still not happy as most of the spring on the shock is compressed and doesn't have much play in it.

just my experience for you...

H&R springs are what you want. Quoted as -30mm but seem more like around 20-25 in reality, so there's your inch right there.

Probably not wise partnering them with the standard dampers, but if you're more concerned with stance than handling / ride quality, then it's probably the cheapest way to do it overall.

1500 to 3000 bucks may seem insane for coilovers but in the long run it isn't. People forget you're paying for better quality damping as well as better overall quality and rust resistance. I wouldn't fit

I think i will just have to go with som H and R coilys to get what i realy want. Thank you all for responding and you thoughts . I really apreciate it!:thumbleft:

What effect is there on the ride quality/handling if you do just put lowering springs on standard shocks?