corradofuze

Power steering problems! Need help asap!

Hi all, im having real big problems with my power steering, i took it into a garage to have the heater matrix done and i think they have done something trying to get it in. When i start the car its fine but if you turn left or right when stationary or moving sow it screeches really loud like it needs grease or something, but whats odd is when your driving at speed it doesn't make this sound, thanks a lot. don

Check the belt tension on the powersteering pump as already mentioned. It's on the left hand side of the engine bay at the bottom. It's the smallest belt

Which Corrado is it you've got? If it's a 16v, then it's not uncommon for the belt tension to need adjusting - and a horrid squealing noise like how you describe is the symptom of a slack belt :)

Easy Jim, yes i think its the belt, its a 1.8 16v, (waiting for insurance to allow me to spend all my cash on insurance on a faster model) so ill have it fixed. thanks everyone!!

it's under more load stationary, that's why the pump will complain or the belt will slip but not when moving, anyone who's tried driving a non-pas mk2 golf will know how heavy the steering can be manouvering the car at low speed and the corrado is basically the same setup but with more weight up front.