8vMatt

What would the interest be in new late headlight switches? Pricing Update.

my corrado has that feature, will look into what was done to it one day, but do like the look of this new headlight switch

Nath fitted a kit either bought on here or ebay for this function.

A question to Mr.RW1

Would the old style rocker switch cover,fit over the newer switch ?

Unfortunately I've given away the bag of Mk1 switches I had. I seem to remember only the faicia cap changed.

Some one on here must hav tried the swap. Not absolutely 100% sure TBO.

More the switch cap top into the dash as the electrical connection is the same with the same loom plastic connector body. Still will have to knock off the plastic keyway locator peg though.

Edited by RW1

I would be keen for a switch, smart thinking chaps

I haven't yet protected my earth wire on my switch, browsing around tonight brought this to my attention again. Question, if I buy a new chinese switch, do I still need to carry out the inline fuse protection to the switch wires?

I currently run a uprated headlight loom so the dim dip is disconnected.

Eitherway, I want to now get the switch protected, especially with my nice new leather dash. lol

I would be keen for a switch, smart thinking chaps

I haven't yet protected my earth wire on my switch, browsing around tonight brought this to my attention again. Question, if I buy a new chinese switch, do I still need to carry out the inline fuse protection to the switch wires?

The risk is considerably lessened, but still wise to install a fuse in the brown earth wire just in case the switch ever mechanically fails for some odd reason.

The Chinese switch can still do what the old switch did if the internal plastic levers break. But with the internal bulb heat removed from the internl lamp area, only mis-use like hard punching it ON or OFF can have an effect or a manufacturing defect. The basic internal mechanical design hasn't been changed. The sliding switch contact plate could still skew and cause a short.

ok so how do i go about ordering one please
There is a new thread in the group buy section. I'll add you anyway and pm you payment details. Thanks for the interest mate.

Got mine last week Matt - thanks for that!

LED Lighting - Interestingly my MK4 clocks fitted to the TDI now work with the dimmer - they didn't at all before so I assumed the older type switches just were not compatible with the MK4 Blue LED lit (?) clocks. Assume this newer switch is out of a car of the same 'MK4' generation.

Only complaint would be the switch is awfully stiff when compared to (brand new) Early and Late Corrado ones - hopefully it will loosen up in time or maybe some silicone grease will help.

Only complaint would be the switch is awfully stiff when compared to (brand new) Early and Late Corrado ones - hopefully it will loosen up in time or maybe some silicone grease will help.

I'm personally only finding mine marginally stiffer than the old (late) headlight switch it replaced - and in a good way. Feels more positive.

The stiffness is no different to the German one when new. I compared it to two brand new German ones at the time of the testing.

I did this to reduce it..... If you want to make easier, take the rocking cap off and apply some more vaseline/silicone grease to the dimples which lock the switch in the 3 positions. The dimpled bit is roughly central inside the upper part of the switch.

I did find that made it "run" smoother.

@S/C That the PWM IC they have re-designed into the switch illumination circuit. As written into the assessment, specifically design for use with LEDs. So why Matt's dash switches with LEDs don't work..... :shrug:

The pulse outputs from the PWM IC /MOSFET transistor must be 12volts otherwise the lamps in the dash wouldn't illuminate either. LEDs are getting 12 volts so the dropping/current resistor shouldn't impair.

Think I might put the lighting back to standard. I can use my own new switch then! Another small step back to OEM.

with an inline fuse fitted and using the chinese headlight switch, How will you know if a short has occured ? Will it be the same visual indication as if you had the original headlight switch fitted where the lamp symbol will no longer illuminate in a short ?

Yes, that aspect of the switch hasn't changed for the electrical current flow path so the red lamp sysmbol in the new switch will extinguish as before with the original.

The likelyhood of it happening is greatly reduced due to there being no filament lamp heat generated, which is the source of the problem. Putting the LED in there was very sensible and heat may well have been the reason beside longivity. The heat makes the top internal plastic arm lever go brittle and so the internal switch plate skews and shorts. And also in the original VW Germany switch there was a manufacturing solder defect possible which if you fitted a spare "new" replacement from VW caused a short into the Brown earth wire.

But the mechanics of the switch are the same so if one of the two internal plastic lever arms is broken due to material failure, the skewing of the internal switch plate will be isolated if it shorts to the Brown earth wire in the loom.

Edited by RW1

Yes, that aspect of the switch hasn't changed for the electrical current flow path so the red lamp sysmbol in the new switch will extinguish as before with the original.

The likelyhood of it happening is greatly reduced due to there being no filament lamp heat generated, which is the source of the problem. Putting the LED in there was very sensible and heat may well have been the reason beside longivity. The heat makes the top internal plastic arm lever go brittle and so the internal switch plate skews and shorts. And also in the original VW Germany switch there was a manufacturing solder defect possible which if you fitted caused a short into the Brown earth wire.

But the mechanics of the switch are the same so if one of the two internal plastic lever arms is broken due to material failure, the skewing of the internal switch plate will be isolated if it shorts to the Brown earth wire in the loom.

Thanks RW1 for the clarification...

Random question. From your sources where you get these headlight switches, would they happen to do interior / sunroof modules in black? Pic below. They are VERY rare and trying to find one is becoming a pain. Also im thinking a DIY job wouldnt look the best. Any help would be appreciated :scratch:

I've seen somewhere someone say yes, but I couldn't say for sure from which model. I have an inkling from a passat

I've seen a few mk2s with this could be an after market mod tho.

Also it is a passat that has them. Whichever one has the centre sun visor that clips onto it.

I bought one on eBay ages ago and it had the visor attached... Was only after the visor too

Edited by owen g60