8vMatt

What would the interest be in new late headlight switches? Pricing Update.

As we all know, the original switches are getting somewhat fragile by now to put it mildly. There either seems to be zero dealer stock or if there are any about, they are at very inflated prices.

I've been doing a bit of research on this and there are new switches being made in China to OE look and spec. Has anyone had any experience of them?

There would be a fair size minimum order but I wondered what sort of interest in buying them there would be and the kind of price that would be acceptable to people. Have to see if its even viable to do yet.

Please give your thoughts and feedback, hopefully make it happen to assist with this known Corrado frailty.

Cheers everyone, Matt.

Edited by 8vMatt

I suspect these and other fragile yet obsolete parts will definately have a market, its simply a question of price and minimum order numbers

And quality. Even the stock headlight switch needs modification to prevent dash fires, and everyone knows that a lot of the stuff coming out of China is of poor quality.

I can't see they'll be made out of any cheaper materials than VW originally made them out of,

and it's a bit of a generalisation about China, they don't just make christmas cracker toys now you know, take a look at all of your electronics, laptop, ipad, phone and probably most of your clothes :lol:

China seems to be the last home of most of VW's manufacturing lines and equipment, wouldn't surprise me if the very same tools used to make corrado bits are pumping out jetta spares now.

I love the determination to keep these old cars going :D

China produce things to a specific standard which has been requested by the buyer, which in the case of Apple's products, is exceptionally high. It's the dodgy back street cloners that give Chinese made products a bad name, but fronting these companies are dodgy people trying to pass off the fakes as the real McCoy.

For every iPhone sold, Apple get $80. The factory in China get just $5. All Apple did was come up with the concept. For these and other interesting facts, tune into Evan Davis's "Made in Britain" on BBC2, 9pm Mondays. Brilliant program :D

As for the headlight switches, yeah nice idea. If you're not worried about originality then I personally would treat their obsoletion as a chance to upgrade to something better.

Or even a MK7 Polo one cause I really like the look and feel of that in my missus's. Just need to change the illumination to green though, somehow!

I have seen a lhd centre console with a double din built into it from the factory and using the mk4 round headlight switch. But thats a bit pricy.

The details about the particular company show they make electrical parts for most of the German makes.

this would be a good option. I bought a Mk4 headlight switch a good few years ago but because of the size comapred to the standard switch, left grafting it in on the backburner. Could probably fit in the RHS undertray, not ideal though unless the dash is cut to fit it in.

Would be interested in whatever folks come up with for late headlights.. so yep, count me in.

Yep - what about trying to retrofit the round switch that comes with the Chinese Jetta (Corrado dash)

Bear in mind that late switches such as the Chinese Jetta may have a Central Electric Controller Unit linked to it. The CE unit carries the circuit current/volts. The dash switch may not be upto carrying direct circuit currents as in the Corrado electrical circuit.

Bear in mind that late switches such as the Chinese Jetta may have a Central Electric Controller Unit linked to it. The CE unit carries the circuit current/volts. The dash switch may not be upto carrying direct circuit currents as in the Corrado electrical circuit..
That's ok the corrado one isn't up to it either :)

Small update-

Been having a few emails going between the factory and myself this week, 8 hours diff really mucks up a speedy dialogue!

Basically the figures are nearly there, just a little up in the air due to exact shipping, import duties and VAT but I reckon we could be looking at a posted out to you guys price of £21-23. If the costs involved to me work out to less than I'm expecting, then the price to you all will be less. I'd be confident that £23 would be absolute maximum.

Please give me lots of feedback as I want to be able to make this work for everyone. If people were expecting a £30-40 price then its a nice surprise, if you were expecting a tenner, then that would never be viable.

Cheers guys.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 AM ----------

Oh forgot to say, would it be worth a mod moving this into the Suppliers section or maybe the Forum group buy section?

Please give me lots of feedback

If these switches work then this is excellent news indeed, and hats off to you Matt for the initiative. You can count me in for one.

Price seems very fair to me. Keep us updated.. definitely in!

Nice interest so far, just want to gauge whether there is enough to warrant the large outlay on the order first.

Hardly going to be a surprise to you guys but here's a picture of a unit from the actual company. Looks just the same as OE to me and not made from cardboard and sticky back plastic :bonk:.

VWCorradoHeadlightSwitch.jpg

Edited by 8vMatt