kevin_m

Help!!!

anyone ever needed to replace the windscreen on their raddo, if so how difficult is it to do? some w**k stain threw a rock at my car and put a b*****ding crack in it! not best pleased... any help would be much appreciated :)

Kev

This is one of those jobs that you think are straight forward and when you attempt them you later regret it. You need glass suckers, glue, primer, knife. When the screen is free and out, clean surface, prime, glue, buy replacement top centre rubber, stll available at a few pounds from vw.

I would just get a pro in to do it, be prepared if theres any surface rust around the A pillars that you could make good. Or just call your insurance company and pay the excess for a a new screen?

By all accounts its a tough job to do. Even for a pro. I have been told of stories where fitters may have ahemm damaged the replacement glass so they don't have to do it. Ie another has to go out when the new glass comes in. The glass is jig fitted at the factory and is only just big enough for the hole it fits. If you don't get it correct and bang on you will end up with wind noise and worse.. I reckon its a fitters job or at the least a spray shop that pulls glass for fun.

it sis pig to do

When my wifes corrado needing doing, the pro's needed 3 attempts to get it right

I had to buy the rubbers etc, and then they ppaid me back.,

Git to do.

Remove the wipers and bottom plastics yourself- they almost always get damaged and are expensive. Worth removing your a-pillar trims too, as these often get cut.

Had mine changed by so called pros - also took them 3 attempts to get it right. On removing the screen (which had obviously been changed before), a lot of rust one found side. I repaired the rebate, primed and painted it, as they quite rightly would not put in a new screen with the meatlwork in that condition. Mobile fitters - first they cracked the screen while installing it, so had to remove it with their cheeswire and scraped the new paint job while doing so. Second attempt they it cracked straight down the middle just on completion. Third time I insisted on a particular chap who had past experience on Cs at another branch. Eventually a good job.

They also cracked the plastic bottom cover which they had to replace.