Mawrick

Bar on subframe hits the exhaust downpipe - any fix for it? (or option for another)

After the rebuild I'v noticed much more "shivering" in the car, and just recently found out that the bar that goes on the back of the subframe hits the downpipe.......I belive this to be the cause of the shivering I can feel around the car.

SO, is there any way O could fix this? - eventually replace this bar with another type ??.

Pics:

DSCN1526-1.jpg

the purple arrow shows where it hits.....

I presume it's caused by lowering the car.........even though it realy doesn't sit that low....

Edited by Mawrick

By bar, do you mean the anti-roll bar? Can't see the pic as it's hosted on a storage site, but I'm guessing the ARB is fitted upside down....

yea, it's the anti rollbar.

AFAIK it's the correct way - but feel free to have a look (I think this was one of the things I looked into when re-assembling it).

Uploaded the pic:

(if you can view it)......

Well the arrowed bit does look like it's pointing down rather than up, but it's hard to say for sure looking at that angle.

How bizzare. Standard downpipe and engine mounts?

Yea standard mounts and downpipe......

(The mounts are from German autoparts - but are supposed to be OEM AFAIK)......

There is a hartmann cat-back system on the car though....

Yeah it is possible it's upside down because that makes no difference to how it looks at the drop-link end. The *only* time I've seen an ARB hit a downpipe on the VR was because the ARB was upside down. When fitted to the car and jacked up, the arb where it passes under the exhaust should be well below the steering rack.

Alright - I'l have a look into that, as that's pretty much the only thing that makes sens it seem :)

thnx again.

I can (not so proudly) confirm that it's absolutely possible to put this bar in upside down....lol.......

Much less "shivering" around the car now :)

(even though it still does run "harder" than the VR6 in my old Passat (the C is coilpack and the passat is a dizzy) - have always been impressed with how smoooooooth the Passat engine runs.....:(

Also my 06 Passat VR6 runs smooooooth compared to the C engine........