UberMoose

Amplifier question

I've recently been turned to Alpine gear from the usual Sony & Infinity that i'm used to, got the dash speakers installed & fell in love with them, got the door speakers, good quality 6x9's, the head unit (Cost enough but the quality is better than Sony's flagship counterpart I was using a few years back, though the trebles on the Sony were a smidge better) and the subs are in the post.

They're all hooked up to the factory wiring for the minute just to get me by, I just wondered if anyone has replaced all the speakers and left it stock or did you run everything through aftermarket amps? If so, was it worth it? Also, does the Corrado have a decent factory amp? I only ask because the dash speakers sound pretty damn good even running off an old Sony MD player!

:scratch:

Hmmm, the factory speakers are paper Nokias and not really that good a quality imo, and they can only handle 10W RMS. The Corrado doesn't have an amplifier either, so you'd have to run your speakers from the head unit or a seperate amp.

I am running the dash speakers (replaced old paper Nokias) and door speakers straight from the stock wiring that I took out of the back of the old speakers, yes sir. Took out the Minidisc player & put in the Alpine head unit and it all sounds very good indeed, even on 17 year old wiring. Just wondering if it's worth taking all of the old wires out, getting amplifiers wired up to the speakers and hooking it all back up to the head unit for extra punch & quality? P

You def wont get the full benefit of the speakers running them off the head unit; I'd recomend getting a 4 channel amp to run your fronts and rears...

I wouldn't take out the original wiring though, just put new amp-speaker wire in - it doesn't hurt sitting where is been for the last 20 years!

Edited by andycowuk

Full range speakers of the size that fit in the dash won't draw enough current to worry the stock wiring. Your headunit will distort long before that becomes a problem!

You def wont get the full benefit of the speakers running them off the head unit; I'd recomend getting a 4 channel amp to run your fronts and rears...

I wouldn't take out the original wiring though, just put new amp-speaker wire in - it doesn't hurt sitting where is been for the last 20 years!

Ok, thanks buddy. I'll have a good look on here to see if there are any pics relating to the work and get crackin' with the knackin'. One amp for all speakers huh?

Full range speakers of the size that fit in the dash won't draw enough current to worry the stock wiring. Your headunit will distort long before that becomes a problem!

Cheers FishWick. It's looking like amp work then

I had a look at my dash speakers today as they seem pretty cheap to replace. There are 2 connectors into each speaker, if I disconnect either of them, the door speaker stops working. If I buy a set of 10cm speakers to replace them, do I just chop the connectors off and solder them all together?

I stripped mine back a bit and taped them back on for a quick fix! But yes, soldering is the way forward, i'll be doing that once I have enough time to do it properly. You have to get the wires crossed over correctly for the dash speakers, get one wire wrong and the whole lot won't work! I figured that out the hard way, apologies for not being able to shed more light on the matter, all I can say is try hooking the wires up in different ways with the head unit on & some music playing & stop when you hear music. :) I'm such a cowboy...

As standard the dash speakers have a very simple crossover. The signal comes into the dash speaker (tweeter) and then loops back out to the door speaker.