Redfox

The Rising

The seats look fantastic. It's hard to beat black leather recaros. I must admit to occasionally getting tempted to retrim my cloth in leather.

Hi DriverVR6, I don't really know, because I just finished it, and it stays 7 to 8 days hardening, then I will add a LOT of leather protection cream from the same company. Until it sucks it no more. Then I will make the install, and drive it, so I will be able to tell in a years time. Sorry, that is the best answer i can give.

On the other hand, there's a lot of extra layers and x-link'er in all mixtures to make it more hard wearing, so I expect it to last years. Leather protection cream with anti wear barrier should also help keeping it nice. Applied every second month or more, according to me. 4 times per year according to the company.

I am sure someone else here are able to tell you. And I'll like to hear that too ;)

I can tell you it takes a lot of sanding with grit 400-600 to wear it down a little.

Under the four matt top layers of finish, are two to three gloss coatings, under that 6 layers of black colourant, plus binder, plus reviver, etc. All with x-linker in it. Pew, what a job. Still far from finished.

Need to make the motors work better. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 12:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Hi Portent,

Thanks. In my former Golf, I had Edition One electric Recaro interrior, and it was hard wearing, and nice, but had to wet-clean it twice or more every year. What was better in the Golf, was the better side support. I would like to mix both to be ultimate. But I would have to source both interriors up first to work on them. Leather seems more in line with the Corrado. I always thought the black leather in the Golf looked silly and a bit out of place. Anyway, if you so chose one day ( to retrim in leather), be sure to get the unharmed cloth pieces in a bag, to keep. Get other leather doorcards, or retrim some boring ones. So you can always make it back.

I would do so for sure. You have MJ in GB right?

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Forgot to add, that I really think leather is not the best for fast cornering - too slippery, but I just have to try it out ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

phew, just been renovating a large appartment for some friends, so had little time to do the Recaro seat renovation. But I managed to finish the seats today. Only missing to finish the drivers side left side front doorcard, which had been butchered by extremists, who apparently didn't give a rats ar.e. So, after a lot of tinkeling with bits and bobs, I am getting closer.

This is how the seats look like now: Sorry for the bad light.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56541[/ATTACH]

Only miss to press on new sets of gliders.

I also managed to buy some new sideplates and press pins in black, plus small lock clips and bolts and screws for both seats. Now I need to find a complete wireing with all bits and bobs to manouver them and heat them. That can be bought from VW, but they want close to 800GBP for the lot. And I think that's a little harsh.. ;) So, I am after a used set. Anyone?

Hope to finish them soon.

Got myself a new waterneck on top of the radiator. Would prefer Daves's to be honest. He makes them better than Gruven.

Also got a new plinth for covering the rear number plate light stick. Need to prime and paint.

More later on.

Cheers,

Redfox :black:

Edited by Redfox

The loom for movement is just two wires. One plugs into the fusebox (I forget which ampage but it's quite high) and the brown earth onto any suitable body location. There is a guide on here somewhere. I wired mine in so it can't be that hard :)

Do these help for the heating side of things? You'd probably need to double check they are what you're after.

Relay / Control unit:

http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7905_Control-Unit-Relay-for-Heated-Seats---fits-a-wide-variety-of-VW-and-Audi-models.html

Heated seat switch (new style):

http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p2229_Heated-Seat-Switch--Driver-Pass--Side----New-Style-Int----Corrad.html

Heated seat switch (old style):

http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p3677_Heated-Seat-Switch--Driver-und-Pass--Side----Corrado--old-style-interior-.html

Heated seat loom:

http://www.arz-tuning.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7690_Heated-Seats-Wiring-Harness---VW-Corrado.html

Edited by Portent

Small update,

I spent a few hours swapping the rear of the interrior on the Corrado. New clips, screws and covers plus nuts and bolts. Here's taking it apart:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56633[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56637[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56641[/ATTACH]

I'll continue tomorrow. Still miss to finish a doorcard though.

More later.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Installed the front seats today. cleaned up the carpets, new gliders for the seats, screws etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56881[/ATTACH]

And the rear seats and rear doorcards:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56885[/ATTACH]

More for tomorrow.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks DriverVR6. And sure yes, it will be. If it wears off quickly, I'll personally take a trip to England and spank the company;) Seriously, I mixed most layers up with x-linker, which they say, makes it much more wear proof. Also I based it with softener and a special prep for better ahedsiveness (?).

Okay, time to nurse the Corrado a bit with a complete new front set up :nurse:

Here's todays work. Whack, it was hard to get some of the bolts off, but all is now changed to new genuine vag items:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57145[/ATTACH]

Here I press in the new hard Powerflex bushes (all over) and some stainless steel inserts. Fortunately, I got some help from a good friend, who is a carmechanic. It's lot more easy to change the track arms, when there's two hands more.

Then on with the Wiechers track arm stiffener in aluminium, which is stiffer than steel. Helps the track arms stay put.

Next is new eyebolts (?) for the Eibach front ani roll bar. Being 22mm which is more than the standard item, I had to find bigger Powerflex bushes, which they claim they don't make. Well, they make them ;) :

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57149[/ATTACH]

More later on ;)

Cheers,

Redfox :black:

Edited by Redfox

Good update,

I have been complaining elsewhere of the scraping the Eibach front arb is making since I installed it, and also after changing all the parts mentioned above.

So today, I drove to a pro shop, and got a 4 wheel alignment and complete adjustment. And got the two destroyed front tires changed. Result: No scraping so far!!!

Have tried to provoke it, but so far still not any scraping. Great, if it turns out to be correct.

Very pleased so far.

All the Powerflex bushings makes for a better and harder ride. The Corrado rides like on rails, and is much more surefooted in hard cornering. Great fun. The acceleration is also bettered, as the Corrado can get a better grip now. Very positive day, even if we had a break in at home ;( Still they managed to take nothing. Scum. Now, I also had the Wiechers alubar in front between the track arms. Something that I did not have on my former Golf 2. This surely helps track be correct under load, and is worthwhile to give even better precision when driving. Can be recommended.

I wil now concentrate on the last bushes and the 3 enginebushes, which have gone soft. So more Powerflex and then to find out what to get for the engine. I surely don't want it to vibrate so much, that it breaks something, but want's it stiffer than standard, so I can avoid engine moving around. Still, comfort is someting I try to eliminate.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Trackfox

Edited by Redfox

Okay, interrior's finished. Went from worn out cracked, holed and torn grey seats to this after just over 100 hours of work. Here's what it looks like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57605[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57609[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57613[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57617[/ATTACH]

and:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57621[/ATTACH]

So, now I am onto something more poweroriented (mods), and a lot of service items plus a quickshift or shortshift as some call it.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

It makes me sad reading your thread all the time. I wish I had the skills and time to make my G60 half as good as yours!

Keep up the good work mate!

Thanks John, but really, it's not that hard. You have a red Corrado, and even a G60. What could possibly go wrong? Did you buy yours just a few months before me, if that is also around the day you joined this forum ? I am just a lousy beginner. Look at what some of the hard nutters in here does ;) If you don't have the Haynes Golf 2 manual (helps me), get it, and the Bentley Corrado manual too. Very helpfull. Etka too; it saves you many trips to the dealer. Just takes some time. And that well familiar astronomical phenomenon: the black hole, which sucks some money out of your pocket, every time it's pay day ;)

I would like to know how to sew leather, and then I would do some A8 seats, and a dashboard in black leather, if ever for sale ;) I tried on an extra headliner, to make it all black, but didn't come out nicely. So I'll have to rehearse on something else first ;)

I will look more into the engine and anchilaries for a while from now on. Actually there's nothing wrong, so let's just call it preventative measures;)

I feel the steering and handling and suspension are more or less sorted for the moment, so time for something else. The alu-bar between the track arms gave a bit as well. Really sharp handling ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hmm... Fishy smell of petrol, better take it apart now, so I am off...

Cheers,

Redfox.

Ordered some new petrol pipes plus fittings, plus new gaskets etc for the injectors now I'll be there anyway. We'll see.

So, while waiting, I thought why not look behind the rear lights to see if the body is still sound? So I took them off, and here's what I found:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57933[/ATTACH]

So I just added some wax to protect while I installed a set of extra rear lights I have prepared:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57937[/ATTACH]

Sorry for the bad picture, but light is funny and its' near zero in temp. I'll post better ones asap.

They are original lights from VW but I have cleaned them a bit and sprayed them. I just installed orange binker bulbs, but the light is still red. So I think I read somewhere here, that someone put in something else to make the light orange. What was that?

Please help, as these are not road legal where I live.

Cheers,

Allredfox.

Edited by Redfox

Okay, while waiting for some spares, I went to roll the Corrado today. It took quite some time, at he was very meticulous. The ignition was spot on, and not too forward. The CO was a bit lean, and it was therefore adjusted to be absolutely perfect. So rolled it and being a stock standard motor, I have 177 Hp and 228 Nm. Very satisfied :dance:

The little CO adjustment made it a bit quicker on the throttle. He told me that the rolling testbench is set up very conservative, and no cheap cheating with funny temp's to make it look like it have more power etc.

Cheers,

Hpredfox.

Edited by Redfox

Hi all,

Spent some quality time meccin' on the Corrado all of today. I have looked through the whole fuel system, and changed all the little clamps and clips to something better and more stable. Stainless and will never let go. 5 GBP a piece so they should be so ;)

Then I've changed the fuelfilter and all the fuel lines. Take a close look at these pictures:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58233[/ATTACH]

and this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58237[/ATTACH]

and this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58241[/ATTACH]

and even this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58245[/ATTACH]

As it can be seen, it was about the very last moment, before catching a fire. Good it never happened. I could smell petrol the other day, and ordered the parts.

So as it has been written several places in here, CHANGE THOSE FUELLINES NOW!!!

Thanks a lot to those of you in here, who spread their knowledge for the rest of us!!!!! :thumbleft:

Then I went to change the radiator neck, before it eventually broke down. Will want one of Daves aluminium ones as soon as he finish some ;)

Then I emptied the coolersystem, flushed it well, and added new G12 and demineralized (or whatever it's called) water.

Then I looked at the pressure hoses for the G-lader, and found an error, and then changed all the clamps for some much better ones which are wider, thicker, and holds much much better. At 12 GBP a piece they should ;) That was a hard price for a thing like that. But it secures the pressure system a lot better = more Hp and less prone to errors.

Then I drained the oil (done 3700 Km) and added new 5W-40 fully synt. from a reputable maker, and a new OEM oilfilter plus a new oem drainplug and sealing.

Then I looked over the gearbox end cap bolts etc, and tightened them up a bit.

Corrected some lines underneath and that was the day. Drives like a rocket and feels very planted. Well chuffed when no less than 5 individuals commented the Corrado very positively today and yesterday during the service and rolling test. Something for the ego.

Some of the dead parts of today:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58249[/ATTACH]

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox

Well done on todays progress. Going on step betond just the routine maintenance is how you keep a Corrado (or any old vehicle) in tip top driving condition, and yours is definately in top condition.

Thanks a lot DriverVR6. More to come I am afraid ;)

Now, where did I put that Lotto cupon?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Ah, nothing like old parts replaced by new parts. So I put on a new oil feed line for the G-lader today. The old one have been changed at some point in time, but don't know when, so out it goes. Was rusty too. And loking at it, I saw that it was installed wrongly, like this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58805[/ATTACH]

It's supposed to sit like this new one:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58809[/ATTACH]

Here's the old parts. Good they were changed:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58813[/ATTACH]

More to follow.

Cheers,

Redfox.