Sign in to follow this  
SimonU

Importing a Corrado

How many people own an imported C?

Any advice for someone thinking about importing one???

i.e Costs involved, and is it actually worth it.???

How many people own an imported C?

Any advice for someone thinking about importing one???

i.e Costs involved, and is it actually worth it.???

I don't have any personal experience, but financially I can't see how it would work out any better than buying in the UK (which other than getting a 'country only' spec car like an MR2 Turbo, would be a reason to import). Good quality C's can be had for around £6K these days and whilst there would obviously be many more (cheaper) C's to buy in Germany, once you've factored in getting it back here (unless you know someone of course) the margain is going to be pretty small. Yes you might save money, but what price having to work out the logistics/regualtions/regsitration etc.

You obviously don't mind the metric clocks, but an import will probably be LHD too and runs the risk of being that much harder to sell on should the time come...

2p

DtM.

Do a search on it, this was covered about a two weeks ago and I posted the procedure for importing a car from Germany. You need to decide whether LHD drive bothers you or not too… I get on with it fine and drive a LHD as a result, some people don’t..

All the best

im actually looking to go over to germany soon and get myself a C, they do tend to be quite a bit cheaper. as you will see from the link above it really isnt that hard to import one, and its not that expensive (that includes insurance). if ur looking for german cars look on http://www.mobile.de and http://www.autoscout24.de (you can change the language at the bottom of each website).

IMO it would just be a case of getting used to LHD, a friend of mine had a golf g60 rallye and said it was strange top start off with, but u get used to it and dont notice after a while.

Cheers for the quick response guys, I think importing is going to be the last option, but I like to keep my options open. Your right there are plenty of nice C's over here and I'm sure one will come along at the right time, I just have to be patient.

thanks

Si

I imported my Mk1 Rocco, as they're scarce (actually not available what I wanted) over here in the UK. I also specifically wanted a LHD, so that was that. The above thread has nicely summarised on how to go about importing a car, looked at that option myself as well, and then had it transported (worked out cheaper, given the car had to otherwise be driven all the way from behind Munich plus ferry costs ...)

For the Rado I was also looking at Germany, but then stumbled across my current one up in Scotland, and felt the price to be OK, so I went for it (after the usual inspection). As it is, the Rado had already been in the States and Germany before (US spec. G60, LHD), so someone else had already doen all the importing bits :D

I personally don't mind where the steering wheel sits, have driven LHD and RHD both here and on the continent, not really any problems there. Some insurances over here might charge higher premiums for LHDs though :mad:

Tempest