owen g60

Owens G60 - Work in progress

Received my new rocker cover on Saturday.

Made the most of the sun on Sunday and got it fitted.

52085f9b-301a-7b38.jpg

52085f9b-3028-7b82.jpg

Just need to give the rest of the bay a bit of a clean now

good lad,didnt realise how quiet 20vt are to the roaring g60s

nice to see yours is coming along!

cheers im getting there.

still waiting on my new adaptor pipes to be made up then the TD5 intercooler can go on when i get back from installing some kit in Iraq

After working my ass off to install the TD5 intercooler before the RR day, I was most disappointed that the pipework didn't hold up to get a reading.

I spat the pipe just after Oxford on my way home. With no tools to get to the pipe I bit the bullet and carried on home. My oil warning light came on a mile from home.

The next day I completely stripped the pipes and assessed the situation.

My charger is on its way out and spewing a lot of oil, service kit is on its way from Germany.

I then went looking for a replacement.

I found a freshly serviced factory standard one in Salisbury which is now in my possession and shall be fitted as soon as I get time.

Pics will be added later.

Fitted the replacement charger today.

But am still wasting oil from somewhere. I suspect it is coming from the back of my rocker cover, I shall wind the studs down a little further then re clamp it and see if that makes any difference.

If not I will have to strip a lot out of the bay to find where the oil is coming from as i can smell it burning on the exhaust and it has covered the gear box.

Also going to flares few more of the boost pipes as these seem to be holding in position now.

Hope I solve everything tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey mate, it was good to briefly meet you on Sunday, shame about all the trouble your having but it looks like your getting it sorted quickly! I tip my hat to you!

Can't believe you have a Rocket as well! Hardcore :thumbleft: (there's no rawk smiley)

Had my rocker cover off today and reseated the gasket, hope this sorts the oil leak issue.

had a look at all the surrounding area at the same time, i have found what looks to be a hole in the inlet manifold although it isnt in the inlet path so shouldnt cause any issues, but shall source another for just incase.

I am still wandering what else could cause me to lose so much oil (about 8 litres this week) and spray it across the top of my gear box.

any other suggestions to this would be greatly received.

Hi Owen, hows your braided oil pipe to the charger? Replaced mine a couple of years ago when the rubber inside the braid got brittle & cracked near the head end, fortunately I was home when it failed & was able to walk round to Steve Regan, Regan Motors in Winton who sourced a new pipe for me & I fitted it the next day.

Mick

Doesn't appear to be the braided hose but am still leaking oil somewhere on the front of the engine. It's lower than the head gasket but above the sump.

Oil filter?? Any other areas that my leak??

if its leaking at the front,the oil return from the charger hose could be split or not tightened properly.its difficult to see and you really need to get under the car to see under the supercharger

leaking over the gearbox is the union on the head where charger oil feed pipe starts or the pipe work above it.oil feed pipe can kink quite easily there

The hole in the inlet manifold,does it look like a piece has broken away between runner 1 and 2? thats normal casting mark.all mine have it

The issue of oil on my gearbox is now sorted, turned out that one of the studs on my rocker cover was sitting too proud , i wound it back down and reseated the cover , all is now good on that front.

the oil feeds are fine, i have routed them above my intercooler pipework so i can keep an eye on them.

the banjo bolts are not weeping.

the oil is coming from somewhere below the heat exchange sandwich plate, i get a feeling i may have damaged my oil filter when fitting my intercooler pipework, i have a new one that i shall be fitting in the morning.

whilst im at it i shall be compression testing the engine to make sure a worn piston ring/valve seat isnt causing over pressure somewhere in the bottom end.

compression checked it this morning 9.5 bar on all 4 cylinders, no issue there.

looked at oil filter all appears good.

leak is coming from somewhere there the gearbox meets the engine, there is a kink in the blanking plate by the sump.

this leads me to believe i caught it the otherday and possibly moved the sump ever so slightly breaking the seal made by the gasket.

the couple of bolts on that side i could get to were slightly lose, i shall hopefully be getting it to a garage tomorrow and get them to re seat the sump

Been away for a while now.

Oil leaks have all been sorted.

VDO gauges fitted into the dash.

Radio relocated into glove box.

bought myself a couple of goodies with the annual cheque from the family...

Golf 180 degree outlet

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320813155629?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Golf inlet pipe with 02 pot.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250957313865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

hopefully these will sort all my boosting issues as i leak like a sieve at the moment.

Going to trail fit some wheels in a bit see what they look like will try to get pics up on here

just a few quick pics taken by a guy who wanted some promo shots for his business :thumbleft:

rado2.jpg

rado1.jpg

rado3.jpg

changing front passenger wheel bearing tomorrow... may as well clean up the brakes and put in new droplinks whilst im there too

Arrived in the post today just waiting on the intake pipe now :)

52085f9b-20ad-e6c0.jpg

Golf 180 degree charger outlet

New pressed metal plates arrived today.

My current plates didnt have any markings on them BSA etc.

May aswell start sorting any things that may cause issues come MOT time instead of bitching about the new rules

plate.jpg

been a little while since i did an update.

finally got the intercooler to throttle body pipe in my hands (first one went to the ukraine for some reason)

been tidying a few bits and pieces up... new(ish) coilovers fitted... 4 point laser alignment done.

cooling issues sorted, turned out to be a stuck thermostat.

all oil leaks stopped....... finally.... been leaking from various places since november.

the stage 5 charger that has sat in my tool box since the R/R day will soon be back in the car.

rebuild kit is on its way from germany, will be dis-assembeling the charger tomorrow so it can be blasted and painted. (I will put up a stripping and build guide for anyone who is interested)

The ones i have found on the web are crap, and as we have so much other information available here why not make this another thing to add.

Still to come.... various parts are being massed ready to be painted and fitted after i get the only rust spot on the car treated and repainted.

Hopefully by this time next week i will have put the new thread for the charger up and will finally be running with some decent boost again.

Hi Owen,

Sounds good to get the bits together.

I for one, would very much like such a thread, as I don't know hot to etc. I will buy an extra charger soon, and rebuild it to be sure of spec and performance.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Not such a good day today...

managed to get the golf 180 bend fitted, however cant get the pipes to line up with my td5 intercooler.

Gave up at 6pm when it was too dark to work. Am probably going to have to take the front off and see if i can modify the cooler to sit slightly differently so things line up.

Looks like its gonna be an early morning to get it started tomorrow. Suppose it will be easier to do things with the front off too.

Success!!!

Went and had another go at the golf 180 bend and pipework today.

I left it last night with just the bend fitted and no pipes linking anything.

Thought I would try a different tact and removed the headlight and grille for a bit more access.

Finally got everything to line up nicely.

52085f9b-6562-31c8.jpg52085f9b-6575-7c87.jpg52085f9b-6583-deb1.jpg

180 bend in place.

Also got the intake path sorted

52085f9b-65ba-9d68.jpg52085f9b-65c7-64e9.jpg52085f9b-65d6-911d.jpg

Just before I took the last picture also changed the coolant reservoir and cap for new items.

Then removed and replaced the thermostat and flange, full system flush and a refill with G12+ and distilled water.

Just need to get a blue and black temp sender set as I think mine are shot.

For once a couple of successful bits of maintenance carried out.

Been fighting it for months.

Going to do a few minor adjustments to the pipes to make the fit a little better.

Also just ordered nice new shiny Mikalor clamps to make it a little nicer and hold everything really tight

Another bad day in the life of the G60 today....

Got me to work fine this morning... 9 hours later i go out to start it and it turns but wont fire.

It is fueling but not sparking, managed to get it to run a couple of times for maybe 30 seconds then it just died.

Didnt have the time to look at it so i have left it in the secure compound round the back and will get someone to take it away tomorrow morning and solve the issue.

The postman was nice enough to bring me this today

52085f9b-e772-459a.jpg

New bearing and seal set for the charger.

Will attempt the build soon