krishen

Is my clutch slipping?

Always hear people talking about slipping clutches but not sure what the symptoms are.

Over the last few days i've had an issue where if i'm driving and accelerate, the revs go high but my speed stays the same. After a few seconds the revs drop back and the speed does increase.

Is this a slipping clutch or something else?

Oh dear. Why is it every time i'm about to go holiday this car plays up :-(

So how much should i budget for a clutch change? And should i get anything else done at the same time? I had the upper chain, guide and tensioners done when i first bought the car (and the garage told me that the clutch looked ok so no need to change it - maybe a bit naive on my part).

How long can the clutch hold out for before it completely goes? Will a couple of weeks/300 miles be ok?

I would do it before you go , if the revs are racing up now its proberbly well on its way out . As the mass says you run the risk of it going when you are away .

Only just got the car back from Graham at DG after a couple of weeks and looks like ill have to drop it back. Need the car to drive to get to London today so hopefully clutch will last to london and back (fingers crossed).

A VW dealer changed the chains on my VW in 2009 but didn't change the clutch. When I bought the car and changed the clutch 4000 miles later the friction plate was smooth to the rivets and about to break up.

Unbelievable that people don't change it at the same time. Saves so much grief!

Just from personal experience when thy change the clutch ask them to change the clutch release arm at the same time for the sake of £10 it's worth it. About 4 hours labour for a clutch change I think

Another question

Is it best to go for a standard VR clutch or go for an uprated/aftermarket one?

Genuine with a genuine release bearing and arm. The non-genuine one comes with a release bearing that starts to 'chatter' after a few thousand miles.

The genuine kit comes with a release bearing already in the box as do the non genuine ones.

As krishen said change EVERYTHING related to clutch (bolts etc) as it's allot of grief to get it all out again.