Sign in to follow this  
jamest

'Rado VR6 -vs- Mk4 V6 4Motion

My 4WD 6 speed corrado VR6 will be quicker than both, so there :p :lol:

When you finally build it... :roll: :p :lol:

The 2.0 is coming out on Easter Monday. Currently stockpiling all the other bits I'll need and working on getting the VR6 lump back together.

I'm gas flowing the VR6 head at the moment (well, not right now, but you know what I mean).

I'm just debating whether or not to blow another £550 on some Schrick 276 cams and schrick valve springs....hmmm

I'm just debating whether or not to blow another £550 on some Schrick 276 cams and schrick valve springs....hmmm

But im sure youd get some of that back by selling on your 268's. :wink:

Well fingers crossed I am going to have the best of both worlds.

The more advanced 2.8V6 motor with the 4wd haldex running gear all wedged into a corrado.

and if you still think it will be slow I have a nice shiny vortech supercharger to bolt onto it 8) oh happy days.....

slightly off topic but how can you get frictional losses of 30bhp+ on a 4wd setup when 90% of the time is it operating in 2wd mode? all it is doing then is rotating the prop nothing else....beats me.

slightly off topic but how can you get frictional losses of 30bhp+ on a 4wd setup than 90% of the time is operating in 2wd mode? all it is doing then is rotating the prop nothing else....beats me.

It's a special tax 4WD owners pay, goes into the national "Horsepower for slower vehicles with less grip pool". You pay with ponies rather than cash 8)

Surely if the prop is spinning the rear diff is rotating still? Or is there a viscous coupling or a clutch type centre diff?

when the haldex diff is turned off ie when its not needed the clutch disengages and it spins freely (I can turn it with one finger) so there is no friction there.

Spinning the prop will take no power so that onlyleaves the transfer box (no reason for it to draw 30+bhp though)

yes you have an extra bit of weight to haul about but I think that will be neglidgable in the grand scheme of things

I thought the V6 4motion golf had a 0-60 of 6.1 seconds as it says in EVO mag?

Just face it lads, me and Coxy are going to have the best kick ass corrado's in the country :lol: :D :wink:

When do you need 4x4 the most? When you're on full throttle... How then is it realistic to say that because the clutch is "disengaged when not required" it won't cause such a large drop in power? Surely it's when you are using all the power that the diff will stay engaged, and therefore you'll lose more of your peak power...

If that makes *any* sense at all!!

nah You only need 4wd when the there isnt enough traction for the front wheels. any other time other than this and supplying power to the rears will just waste energy. The syncro and 4motion are part time 4wd for this very reason.

You would need a phenominal amount of power to need 4wd in a straight line above 70mph to necessitate 4wd.

It will come into play when pushing round corners at high speed where a FWD car will start to understeer, the 4wd car will transfer pwer to the rear wheels and allow you to put more power down.

Of course there is also the added bonus of a proper wishbone setup on the 4wd cars too :wink:

I've got a torque biasing diff in the front of mine too, so my 4WD will only come into play when BOTH front wheels spin.

The engine still produces the same amount of power, but's it's how much of that you put down onto the tarmac that counts....

Fair enought the 4wd drivetrain will take SOME power to turn, but, wheelspin is still a power loss......

I don't see any Skyline/EVO/Impreza/Integrale/Quattro owners converting their cars to 2WD to get more power......

when the haldex diff is turned off ie when its not needed the clutch disengages and it spins freely (I can turn it with one finger) so there is no friction there.

Ah, thought so. Same as the TT then, which you can feel shunting the power about beneath your bum when the going gets tough!

I thought the V6 4motion golf had a 0-60 of 6.1 seconds as it says in EVO mag?

Could be but Evo also have the C VR6 down as 6.2 to 60.....which I find highly unlikely! Phat's probably could do it in that or better it slightly, but not a standard one!

K

Ah, thought so. Same as the TT then, which you can feel shunting the power about beneath your bum when the going gets tough!

urgh that doesnt sound too nice! i was always led to believe it was a smooth experience of total grip :?

Could be but Evo also have the C VR6 down as 6.2 to 60.....which I find highly unlikely! Phat's probably could do it in that or better it slightly, but not a standard one!

More than likely, I seen it launch at york and it was pulling that hard off the mark it was twisting the car all over the place ! (that might have had something to do with the 'set up by eye tracking though :wink: )

Them diffs certainly allow more power to be put down.

Well if the early Haldexes are anything to go buy, then yes you can feel shunting during power transfers. In fact, the Haldex was known for it. Current versions of it may have improved, not sure.

You only feel a very slight rock from underneath when really flooring it on wet and uneven surfaces. Bit like when FWD cars lose and regain grip, but not as pronounced.

I would imagine all the haldex diffs are the same - if anything has changed it will be the electronics controlling it.

You be able to get a sport mode which transfers ALL power to the rear wheels - now that would be cool 8)

Doesn't matter, missing the point guys. Whenever someone ask's him what car he's got, unless he wants to sound like a complete pr#ck who feels the need to be anally specific about his exact model, he's gonna say 'a Golf'. When someone asks you and you say a Corrado, job done, 'nuff respect' and all that!

This comes up all the time ('my Jap car / ugly Pug / whatever is faster than yours'....so bloody what, mines a Corrado, and yours, well, ....yours just isn't! :D