Stonejag

Two simple door handle questions

This is driving me mad. Be gentle, I'm still learning! :)

Took my driver's side door-handle off, originally to fit one of dav16v's new strikers, but found it already had one! While it was off I found the central locking wires to be severely chafed at the point they entered the handle, which would explain why it would randomly lock itself while driving.

So, firstly, how can I expose the wires where they attach to the switch? I can't get at the small crosshead screw holding on the black plastic trim around the lock because the tab that moves the striker is in the way. [edit: same prob as this chap but he had no responses...]

Secondly, how is the spring on the back of the lock cylinder reassembled? Mine went ping and I can't figure it out...:bonk:

Thank you!

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

As far as I know you can't remove the switch, I've not known anyone to do it. Looks like another handle is on the cards, I might be able to help you with that, I think I've got a spare handle.

The spring has to be tensioned before you fit it. The spring has 2 legs on it that have to be pushed passed one another to tension the spring if that makes sense.

Yep, I just figured that one out :) The two ends have to cross over and grip the topmost bit before it goes on properly.

What's really confused me is that after getting hacked off with not being able to get deeper into the handle, I cut off the damaged cable altogether (so it wouldn't short out or foul the window) and put it back on the car. The confusing bit is that everything still works! I can lock and unlock the whole car, including the boot, from the driver's side - and it still unlocks when I use the key in the passenger side. So what's the cable for? :shrug: Maybe VW realised it was a crap design and built in some redundancy?

If it is actually important I may well have that handle off you though!

Stone

If you have an aftermarket alarm fitted with its own actuators you dont need the wire!

The non c/l handles are cheaper........bonus there was a thread on here a little while ago,if you do a search it should turn up

I have an aftermarket alarm but I can't set it (no transponder - not got around to recoding it yet). Very strange! While it all seems to work I'm tempted to leave it be...