eugopnosaj

Wheel bolt length URGENT ADVICE NEEDED

Right guys need a bit of advice, my wheels are fouling the bodywork and failed the MOT due to this. Turning the track rod ends doesnt help it just causes the wheels to toe out drastically and the garage said that my only other options were to either use slimmer wheels or use spacers. I've got some 27mm spacers at home and since time is running out as it is thursday already and I go back to work on Monday I don't have time to wait for anything to turn up if i order it (ie slimmer spacers) what length bolts can i get away with using?

Theres a guy selling 50mm length bolts not to far away from me and I should be able to get them tomorrow ready for a retest tomorrow afternoon/saturday morning however obviously i dont want to buy some and them not fit/not be suitable.

I have read online that about 4/5 turns should be more than enough in the hub and I have gauged this with an existing bolt and it gives me around 9mm of thread in the hub (on 5 turns). The bolt sticks out about 13mm from the back of the wheel and added with the spacer leaves me 10mm....to go into the hub.

I'm also hoping that a 27mm spacer won't cause the wheel to stick out of the arch, my existing wheels are 205 and ET35

If anyone can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated

Regards, Jason

Take it they are fouling on the innerside of the wheel on the inside of the arch/suspension?

If so get some 5mm spacers from halfords, you should be able to use them with standard wheel bolts.

Be carefull when using bolts that are too long as you could damage the ABS ring that sits behind the hub

hope that helps!

Yeah fouling the arch, surely a 5mm spacer would only give me 6/7mm in the hub whereas the above spacer with a 50mm bolt will give me a similar length in the hub

27mm could make the wheels stick out of the arches, they might fail you because the wheels stick out further than the body!

5mm spacers are cheap as chips and availabe from halfords or motorserv, I ran 5mm spacers for a few years with standard bolts with no probs.

Or you could just take the arch liners out!?