yacobwood

Vag-com

Does anybody know if this would be any good with a valver and a VR?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-Fault-Code-reader-/160646609233?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item256748b951#ht_1180wt_956

If not, could anybody suggest a cable and the correct software i can buy where i dont have to pay four figures? :scratch:

I was tempted by those but ended up getting one of these http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22 and these http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28&zenid=hrg8l9d5v63pgsrvp912fiehv6 instead. I needed the second cable because I've got the older "2+2" connection. It came with drivers, copies of install files for VCDS-Lite and decent instructions. Ten minutes after receiving the delivery I'm scanning with no problems. Can also clear codes (if you scan individual areas rather than autoscan). I have nothing bad to say about what you were looking at as I never actually bought it but these cables from this company work perfectly for me. Thanks to buttles for pointing me to this company rather than a random eBay seller.

Gte the ebay cable and VCDS.. It works out about £10 and you can read measuring blocks and fault codes... :)

Sorry for being a bit dumb, but do i need anything else with this or will this purchace include everything i need for a non advanced user?

http://www.lonelec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=22

If your socket under the gear stick gaitor is the big fat (ODB2) one then this is all you need. If you have the older (ODB) connectors, one little black one and one little white one, then you need the second cable to go with the main one. Make sense?

Yes. I have the 16 pin adapter (94 Valver). Just didn't know if i needed additional software. Thanks for your help :thumbleft:

Yes. I have the 16 pin adapter (94 Valver). Just didn't know if i needed additional software. Thanks for your help :thumbleft:

With my delivery they sent me a mini CD with the drivers for the cable and the installation files for the shareware / freebie version. That should be all you need.

Checking my ABS and i receive the error 'Too Many Communications Errors to Continue'

Now i know ive more than likely done something wrong as it confuzzled me a bit. Anybody know what i have done wrong?

Checking my ABS and i receive the error 'Too Many Communications Errors to Continue'

Now i know ive more than likely done something wrong as it confuzzled me a bit. Anybody know what i have done wrong?

I have had that a couple of times and was wondering why - especially as my ABS is working properly. An Audi forum also discusses this and in amongst the post saying "take it to the garage" or "buy a DECENT cable" I found this from someone using a "cheap cable and freeware version"

From what I can ascertain this normally happens if I have plugged it all in and started running the scan but forget to turn the ignition on so flip the ignition and then the system has a paddy.

So I tend to start again, ignition on and then do a fresh scan it comes up fine.

May or may not be the reason/fix but it works for me!

Also some users say it's USB versus serial with serial being more reliable.

Not tried it myself yet.

This document will tell you the right procedure to get a clean scan. http://www.ross-tech.net/VCDS/download/manual/vcds-10-6-manual.pdf

Now that we are all so used to everything being plug and play it's worth remembering sometimes you need to do things in a certain order when you have a old car on the other end of the connection.

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

Have you had any more joy with this mate? I got my lead and software yesterday, after a fiddle getting it all to talk to each I have the same error message when i scan ABS. However when i scaned the engine (out of curiosity) it scanned fine... I've given up for today as the nights drawing in but will have ago again tomorrow