Cat VR6

Generally poorly VR6

Hi Guys

Just after a bit of advice about my VR6, quite a few things up with it at the mo.

The main thing is it's been running at very high oil temps. When I bought it in January it was running at about 116 to 118C in the cold weather. On the first hot day of the year and a 40 min trip on the motorway it reached 140C. Since then it's easily reached 130-140 on the 20 min commute to work and I've been driving it like an absolute granny to try to keep it down. I've read people saying 120 is high. Had the temp sensor changed a bit back and that didn't change anything. Water temps have always sat quite nicely around 90, occasionally up to 100 and once did get to 110C.

Just spent the weekend removing the head gasket which was absolutly knackered and sent the head off for skimming, new valve seals, valves reseated etc today. Also it's been running on the green coolant....g11 or g12? Gonna fill up with G12++ when its back together (with a good flush out in betwen). I've also put a lower temp stat in but just read this isn't such a good idea...especially with winter coming up? Should I take this back out?

Aso got a mocal oil cooler to fit but thinking I should wait to see how it runs after a bit of a refurb and new coolant before definatly fitting this. By the way does anyone know what a good length for the hoses are with the mocal kit? The ones I was supplied are too short to route the cooler to in front of the radiator so need to get longer ones ordered..

I wanted to ask about MPG as well, I've had 33 out of it on a long trip, and depending how I drive it it tends to be about 22-27 to and from work on 30-60 mph roads depending how I drive...should it be better than this?

Also when i turn full lock at slow speeds for example when I'm parking, there is a 'clunk' noise...been trying to identify this for a while but failing, is this a common fault? It's only when I turn one way (can't remember which) and it doesn't happen when I straighten back up.

There's a tapping/knocking noise when I start up that's quite loud. It increases with engine speed and does go away when the engine heats up, I've been told it is probably the tappets, does that sound right?

Also, recently my spoiler has started to malfunction slightly, is there anything obvious I can try to fix this? I've noticed it not going all the way up or down, but not every time.

Oh and last thing, is there somewhere better than the stealers to get water hoses from? Had to cut the one that joins the head-throttle-heater to get the head off.. and the stealers want about £50 inc VAT :(

I think that's about it...I'm hoping it's gonna be a new car after the work I'm doing at the minute but any advice about any of this would be great!

Thanks in advance! Cat

Edited by Cat VR6

My thats a lot of questions!

Oil temp is very high for sure, not 100 % sure what is causing that as your coolant temps seems ok.

I think VRs should run on the pink stuff, you should be fine on G12++, I think it is all backwards compatible, as long as its pink and VW, G12 ish you'll be fine.

I wouldn't bother with a lower temp stat personally, the quicker the engine reaches operating temperature the better in my book. I also wouldn't bother with the mocal yet, get it running properly as standard first. Mine is standard and has never reached anything like those temperatures, no matter how hard I drive it.

MPGs seem a bit low, I can see 37 mpg at a steady 80 on a run, 30 to 33 day to day driving. 22, I have never seen that other than a very short blat. The mpg should go up nicely with distance.

Hoses are not the easiest things to get old of cheaply, maybe post a wanted on here, someone is probabaly breaking a car.

mpg doesnt sound a mile away

clunking on lock could be cv joint or maybe somethings that worn that somethings catching antirole bar linkage.Spoiler mehinism sounds like it needs taking to bits, stripping and cleaning, which is quite easy once you pull youre finger out, if you leave this without action the relay or switch may give up.

Have you had the oil and water pumps off to check their condition.

hope that helps, good luck

dont forget to let us know how you get on

Clunk is very normal on many VR's.

Change of wishbones did settle mine down to occassional clunk -not an issue I am told - other than the annoyance.

Mpg - seems ok to me too. 37 mpg on a good run - I never see that !!!!!!!

If you keep the car below 3000 rpm until your oil temp reaches 80 and also dont rag it up to the 3000rpm - that should help.

I only do 4 miles to work some days and have found if I keep the car mph below 50mph - my mph massively improves even on that short distance.

It does appears differing fuel stations suppossedly offering the same fuel - are getting differing performances in mph too.

Morrisons was recently being slated by some, but others - me included have found their fuel to be some of the best for overal mpg

All VW's have Tappetty noises on start up - or all mine have - now on my fourth VW.

Even changed the Tappets on one - and no different.

Spoiler - get some grease into it now - hopefully will aid its life - I will leave the boys to guide you further on this.

All the other bits - too technical for me - good luck in getting it all sorted.

Well, 4 weeks later and he is finally back on the road! Unfortunatly MPG is no better and oil temps still sitting around 130 deg in normal driving (although we are having a bit of a heat wave I suppose). That's with new oil, G12++ coolant and a new water pump. Will have to get in and look at the oil pump but other than that I think the mocal will be going on soon!

During the MOT the garage found a spring that wasn't seated correctly which they have now put back and I havn't noticed the clunk since?

Still need to pull my finger out and look at the spoiler..job for this weekend probably.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice, I'll get there in the end! :)