stevef182

Which brake pads post 288mm upgrade

I have the 288mm upgrade on my VR, although not sure which car they came off. Which pads do I need, golf 3 VR6, golf 4? And any recommendations on brand?

Dont, there ****. Unless your taking the car on track stick to normal pads. If you must get uprated then I liked the Mintex M1144's I had. For fitment they must match the calipers you have.

Thanks, but for which car??

---------- Post added at 01:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

Thanks Coullstar - is there more than 1 option in terms of a donor car for 288mm calipers then?

Im not 100% sure but I think the calipers are the same, its the carriers that can be slightly different. Some from Mk3 Golf, some from Mk4's but i the calipers the same then the pads should fit. Mk4's carriers needed spacing 6mm IIRC.

Do a search on here for "288mm" and you should find out.

96 on Golf to 2003 MK4 Golf/Bora GTI/TT/Octavia/Vauxhall Vectra etc etc. It's a standard ATE pad profile used by many cars and really is not hard to find information on.

Standard issue dealer MK4 GTI pads I have on mine and are actually rather good.

No difference in pad shape, caliper and carrier throughout the range from Mk3 - Mk4/Leon/TT/Octy etc.

The only difference is in the disc - if you want to fit Mk4 288's or 312's you need a 6mm spacer between the carrier and hub, but if you stick with the mk3 288mm disc then it all bolts on with no problems.

As Kev says, the pad is very common and you shouldn't have any difficulty finding some. I also use the mk4 genuine VAG pad and have found it to be great, as well as the mk4 disc (with 6mm spacer) which again hasn't given any trouble.

My 288 conversion came with red stuffs and Brembo pattern discs. The discs are great, offering a little more bite and warp resistance than VW discs (I do brake late and hard though!) but the Red Stuffs I really cannot recommend at all. The VW pads were like, 40 quid, and are night / day better than the red stuffs from cold and intermediate temps.

Kev, I thought you swore by DS2500s ? How do you find the VAG ones compared to them ? Obviously price is a major difference.

I don't recall swearing by them, maybe you have me confused with someone else :D The pad I waxed lyrical about was the Pagid RS15 (aka "Pagid grey") but I don't think they are available in 288 profile.

The DS2500s certainly aren't bad by any means, but they're over priced for the performance imo.

On those days where you just want to get in the car and drive to work (winter especially) and you just want brakes that work, you can't beat OE pads imo.

As a follow up, I went back to stock VAG pads with the anti-squeal backing with the stock discs and the noise is gone - no difference in braking and it even feels a little bit more positive. So the DS2500 are probably great for track days and fast road (whatever that means, I mean 80-90 on a motorway is normal for me) but not for a daily driver. So I have a set of DS2500s (front 288 nearly new and 226 rear, brand new in box) for sale now I guess.

Thanks for coming back and updating! Love it when people do that. I wont have to bump an old thread to ask in a month or so when I'm doing mine :)

Just picked up a set as well, will keep standard pads in for road and have should have a set of Mintex 1155's for track is I go back.

Looking into this right now as I'm upgrading to 288mm. I know I need Mk3 discs and pads for the fronts (although I'm only replacing the pads), and standard Corrado discs and pads for the rears... But, I don't know what brand, as there is a big price margin between them.

Was looking at these on Euro Car Parts, are these the ones? Or can I go cheaper? Should I spend more?... Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1993/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-pad/?101440328&1&8247de3c5bd4a4eb25e5f71b1c9e1f14bb6fe31d&000036

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1993/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-disc/?104441738&1&44fafe8c7da8adfdb978e301df608e6882795927&000027

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.8_2000/p/car-parts/brakes/brake-friction/brake-pad/?101440718&1&4e052da0cd9b84738eec0b4ebe8206665607ba86&000036

I used Mintex - MDB2689 - only £ 31.95 delivered and they seem spot-on with my drilled and grooved 288's with mkIII calipers.