Sign in to follow this  
randal

Alarm Overhaul

Don't know if anyone's been following, but - I've been having intermittent grief (the best kind) with my alarm. Sometimes when I arm it the indicators stay on, sometimes it randomly decides to go off (although the sensor positions in the car do have a huge affect on how often), and generally it's a pain the a$$. Just wondering if anyone has had an overhaul from a spark before - or would it be a smarter move just to say sod it and get a new system dropped in?

Cheers in advance

randal

I'd go with a new system... that way you KNOW it's gonna be OK, and if it start playing silly sods, you can take it back and have a go at the fitters... 8)

I always have the alarm ripped out of any car I buy and a new one installed just for my peace of mind... 8)

Sounds like that's going to be the best course of action. What sort of figure am I looking at? I wonder if they'd do a PX for a wonderful Quantum setup... :lol:

cheers chap

randa;

depends on where you go.... ;)

Most places will do a nice Cat1 alarm system for around £300 to £350 and will remove the old one at the same time... or you could just go for a cat2 immobiliser and a cheaper alarm for around the £150 - £2500 mark.... 8)

Personally, I'd go cat 1, again, just for peace of mind... 8)

300 notes!? Oh well, there goes a chunk of the head work money... Hmmm, security/performance - it's an unfair trade off!

Thanks for the advice

randal

Is it an OE Scorpion? Sounds like it!

The indicators staying on is a common fault with Scorpion systems of that age, its caused by pitted relay contacts inside the unit (often due to moisture ingress). It can be fixed but the alarm unit will need stripping down and the relay either cleaned or replaced.

As for the false alarms, if you follow the cable down from the sensors you should find a small control unit with an adjuster screw, try turning the sensitivity down a bit, that might help.

I have to say that its probably time to think about replacing it, they were never the most secure system (there goes £300)

Not all bad news though, if you take the guts out of old Scorpion alarms they make a rather attractive pen holder for your desk :D

Not all bad news though, if you take the guts out of old Scorpion alarms they make a rather attractive pen holder for your desk :D

PMSL! :lol:

It's a Quantum.. ..is that the brand, or the model? I might have a go at a DIY overhaul before shelling out the cash for a new beasty. Where in your opinion would the control box live? Is it going to be in the central column, or behind the dash somewhere. /me gets flashbacks to yesterday's painful stereo fitting involving removing the glovebox, clock surround, half the dash... ouch! Not again!

cheers

randal

If its the one I'm thinking of its a compact type, so the siren holds all of the electronics.

To identify it :

Locate the siren in the engine bay, remove the rubber gator and you should see two plugs. If there are that's the bit to strip.

If threes only one small (2 or 3 pin) plug the control unit will be behind the dash (usually behind the glove box).

If threes only one small (2 or 3 pin) plug the control unit will be behind the dash (usually behind the glove box).

I think I'm going to cry. That was a beeeeee-yatch to get out! Thanks all the same

randal