Sign in to follow this  
skygrowler

radiator on a VR6

I've only worked on my rad with the bumper and slam panel removed but if there's an easier way, as Corradovr6sc suggests, go for it. Space is very tight in there but it must be possible to change it without stripping the front end as it is a service part after all!

K

i cant find any reference to it on the forum and i dont see any archives that he was talking about.

but the local garage (not vw) want £250 = fitting + vat. i got one from euro for£99 +

so if all it takes is time i gottit , i dont use the car for in the week anyway

Its not an easy job- My garage managed it without taking the slam panel off but it took him ages anyway.Think mine was under £200 with a flush out and a nice new header tank full of G12 8) . I have changed radiators on other cars but it looked so tight :shock: I just left it to the garage.

Mike

Skygrowler

I replaced my VR6 radiator end of last year with one from GSF. After a great deal of research on this forum, local VAG dealer and some other sites I did the whole job myself without removing the frontend. I am not a mechanic and the whole job was done in one day including hammeriting the front cross member.

Ensure you have all the parts / fluids

Rad, new seal for elbow on top left of rad if not a new elbow from GSF/euro to get a perfect fit, G12+ coolant for a 40% concentration (3 1.5ltr bottles covers it). Think thats it. This is a fiddily job but remember throughout 'It will fit'. Instructions make more sense looking into engine bay. All this is from memory so some 'local' problem solving maybe required

Drain system (black plastic drain plug on a metal coolant pipe on front of engine only visible from underneath)

Detach hoses from rad fold out of way

remove: battery, thermoswitch, rad cooling fan and couling(4 selftapping bolts), Plastic splash gaurds bolt in everywhere and need to come off, 2 upper securing bolts of rad (bolts a circulur metal piece with a rubber seal into slam panel that slots into top of rad)

That should be the rad loose as it just sits on the front cross member with 2 small lugs. Work it out carefully.

Easy as that ??? :cry:

As Mr Hayne says "fitting is reversal of removal" It will fit, It will fit, It will fit eventually. move it around carefully don't forget the rubber washers on lugs on the bottom of rad.

Follow the intructions on how not to get an air block while refilling rad on this brilliant and informative forum

Job done :D

PM if your having dramas

Iain

i have had a look and i admire your confidence i will have a go next week

thanks for the advice

when i told my wife "all you need is patience" she laughed dunno why. :oops:

i will let you know how i get on :roll:

cheers