krishen

Bonnet release cable clip borken

Desperately need to get to my engine bay as the the rad fans aren't coming on but the bonnet cable has come away from the handle you pull. Had a search and most bonnet cable issue are pointed to a post on the wiki page. Is is useful but being a noob that i am need a bit more help.

I tried to pull the cable with a pair of pliers but it doesn't seem to want to budge. So my question is how much force do you need to apply when pulling the cable? I did give it some force but maybe im just not strong enough :-(

krishen, make sure you are stopping the sleeve from moving - basically you need to try and push teh sleeve away and pull the cable towards you, if that makes sense? See if the thin steel bracket on the side of the handle hasnt broken off. Get some pliers, and use the centre (gapped) portion. The sheath shoulnd tfit through this. Get another set of pliers and pull the cable whilst pushing the first set away. Good luck!

Sam, i had this issue last winter. Got my uncles mate to make some metal versions up. They've all sold bar just one, you can have it if you pay for postage. It looks like the first attempt at making one, so doesnt look as good as the others, but it will do the job still.

Its metal so wont eventually go brittle and break ever again. Fit and forget.

I didnt think you could buy the trumpet part seperately. Thought you had to buy the whole cable as a complete unit.

Mine did this last Friday - got a new cable in the end as mine was losing the battle anyway.

Gruvenparts make a replacement clip out of billet aluminium but it costs a fortune! A bit of L-bracket with a couple of holes drilled in it would work fine...

Stone