Jayjay2580

Needed! 2.9 VR6 Corrado engine..

After owning my wonderful 170,000 miles Corrado VR6 for a short time, my engine has decided to give up..

It still runs, but only for about 10 minutes from cold, until it spew's hot water in every direction along with exhaust gasses from the expansion tank..

I've just spent £500+ on having the head gasket and chains done, and still have the same problem. :bonk: Gutted!

I'm looking ideally for a 2.9 that has been either very well looked after, or recently reconditioned.. Or if anyone has one, a tuned and improved engine..?

I know it might be a strange ask, but i'd rather not put an engine in, only to have to take it out for more work 6 months down the line..

If anyone know's of anyone selling an engine, please point them in my direction.

Thankyou for reading. :thumbleft:

if you spent money for head and chains why don''t you spend another cash for bottom end rebuild rather that buying another used engine

Ha Ha! Yeah, it'd be nice hey!

And although I would quite possibly tear off my left arm for that engine, I don't think I've got quite that much cash to spend...

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

if you spent money for head and chains why don''t you spend another cash for bottom end rebuild rather that buying another used engine

I've thought about that aswell, that is a possibility. It would make sense to do that, but just wanted to see if there was a complete engine that i could work with.

Although i've had the head pressure tested, i'm not 100% sure on the quality of the test..

There were a few Vr6 engines on ebay when I looked the other day.

Mj

Yeah i've found one locally, i'm arranging to go and hear it running. But want to keep my options open really..

Is the problem in the bottom end??? I would really check the head first...

Well we're thinking it is yeah. I've had the head skimmed and pressure tested and it all came back ok..

Also when we had the head off, the original gasket looked in very good condition. Obviously I had the work done and new gasket anyway, but it changed nothing. It did exactly what it did before we had the head off..

Edited by Jayjay2580
Spelling

If the pressure test came back ok... Then it can only be a cracked block... One of the water galleries might be cracked. If thats the case then it would be easier to get a replacement engine.

If the pressure test came back ok... Then it can only be a cracked block... One of the water galleries might be cracked. If thats the case then it would be easier to get a replacement engine.

Yeah thats what I thought.. I know it's a bit of a cop out, but I don't want to be spending hours taking it all apart again to replace the bottom end. :-(

Obviously I would prefer to be keeping the original engine, as it's done 170,000 and I would like it to do alot more to keep the car original..

All I really wanted to do after spending this morning putting the car back together, was take a sledge hammer to the car..

It's only because I love the car so much that I didn't. Bloody thing!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

or get a 2.8 and bore it out to 2.9?

I had thought about that, as the 2.8 seems to be easier to get hold of. But it means spending more money I don't really have.. :-(

Well if youre doing the job yourself at least you will safe thounsands... When I got my vr it had 140,000 miles. Did a complete rebuilt including original pistons and ive spent around £1500. Still kicking with 180,000 miles. But getting another engine is a easier way out , but it might happen all over again. You never know

Yeah thats what I thought.. I know it's a bit of a cop out, but I don't want to be spending hours taking it all apart again to replace the bottom end. :-(

Obviously I would prefer to be keeping the original engine, as it's done 170,000 and I would like it to do alot more to keep the car original..

All I really wanted to do after spending this morning putting the car back together, was take a sledge hammer to the car..

It's only because I love the car so much that I didn't. Bloody thing!

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

I had thought about that, as the 2.8 seems to be easier to get hold of. But it means spending more money I don't really have.. :-(

It's much cheaper and easier to put a 2.8 bottom end in, they can be had for as little as £50, plenty of them too. There's so little diffference in capacity between the two its seriously not worth the hassle or expense of boring one out to 2.9. The power output difference is nigh on negligible, that's what I'll do when my 155k engine gets tired.