benzo_26

Another stupid question no doubt!

Are the rear number plate lights supposed to be on constantly even when the other lights aren't? I'm pretty sure the answer is that they shouldn't be, but I've had a look at the wiring and can't see anything obvious.

Any thoughts?

Cheers:bonk:

dont think they should be on constantly no. hope this helps lol

cheers thats what I thought, I'll keep poking until I find something.

Yep, they only come on with the headlights, so you've either got a short in the bulb loom somewhere or the switch is playing up. RW1 on here knows the wiring like the back of his hand and can probably tell you where on the fuseboard to look etc.

Yep, they only come on with the headlights, so you've either got a short in the bulb loom somewhere or the switch is playing up. RW1 on here knows the wiring like the back of his hand and can probably tell you where on the fuseboard to look etc.

Super thanks for the advice I will give him a shout.

BH Kevin, did you mention the call out fees?

@benzo.

1) Has it been like this since you bought it in July? If not what have you done in the boot/tailgate area?

2a) Is the headlight switch symbol illuminated as well when headlight switch is OFF, including when ignition is off? (2b - assumes the internal bulb is OK and illuminates when the ignition is switched on?)

3) Is the front and rear foglight switch symbols illuminated (not the rings) as well with no ignition or sidelights on?

4) Pull Fuse 3 (10Amp Red) What happens to the plate lights?

5) Pull Fuse 16 (15Amp Blue) What happens to the plate lights?

After I've seen the above answers, we may have to start pulling things apart.

Edited by RW1

@benzo.

1) Has it been like this since you bought it in July? If not what have you done in the boot/tailgate area?

2a) Is the headlight switch symbol illuminated as well when headlight switch is OFF, including when ignition is off? (2b - assumes the internal bulb is OK and illuminates when the ignition is switched on?)

3) Is the front and rear foglight switch symbols illuminated (not the rings) as well with no ignition or sidelights on?

Mate I really appreciate you getting back to me I have only just logged back on tonight to check the forum work has been chaotic the last week, so I will get cracking on saturday morning to cover your points and come back with answers. Thanks again I'll post on saturday

@benzo.

OK I have finally got time to try these points and here goes with the answers.

1. No idea if it has done this since I got the car, one bulb was fused and the other one just flickered as if it was about to die. Couldn't say if it was always on though. All I have done was the the bracket off and change the bulbs. Have not touched the wiring.

2. The headlight switch is illuminated orange when the ignition is on, it is not lit when ignition is off. If I put the lights to side beam the switch goes green then orange with full lights.

3. Front and rear fog lights switch only illuminated when ignition is on. No rings unless I actually turn the fogs on.

4 & 5. Nothing happens when removing either of the two fuses.

I did notice that the number plate lights are considerably dimmer when the lights ARE NOT on, and obviously brighten when the lights are turned on.

Hope I've explained things, thanks for the help