too hot

HIDS v Uprated loom + Bulbs

Anyone using HIDS on their Corrado???

I have done a search and there seems to be no comparisons.

What I would like to know is what is the best option for the Corrado.

Does the uprated headlight loom and bulbs give as good performance as HIDS.

Do HIDS run hotter than normal bulbs and if so will this effect the plastic reflectors?

Price wise whats the difference as far as I can see HIDS seem to be more expensive.

What about MOT time should HIDS not have a self levelling device/function or is that only fitted as standard?

Any advice would be appreciated :thumbleft:

I made an uprated loom over the last couple of nights for my C , standard (and old) bulbs , no fogs on , lamps not beam-set , and I was stunned how good they are . I live out the country and the difference was outstanding , as good as my old Lexus IS200 . I'm gonna fit Philips Vision bulbs and beam set them , and leave it at that . When I checked my lamps before I started making the new loom , I had only 8.5-9.0 volts at the bulbs... with the engine running!

Loom and bulbs any day, hids are gay!

Plus the fact mot testers have been told to crack down on them, instant fail if you have them.

Yeah you can't beat a nice loom with some tasty bulbs. As well as HIDs being gay (lol) the Corrado's light refracting lenses spoil the beam apparently. There's a big thread on it somewhere. I think a chap called MysticBlue spent a lot of time and effort on it.

Wouldnt you need to get the auto adjustment fitted too, otherwise they're illegal. I hate HID, i dunno if its becuase my car is lower the others, but they just glare you.

Anyone know what the "rally" spec bulbs are like that Halfords sell. It says not for road use, but did wonder how much brighter they were. Tempted to try a set.

I used the 90% brighter bulbs from halfords, my arse 90% but def much brighter and whiter.

Will pass the four of them on for £20 if wanted.

They probably are 90% brighter, in numerical terms.. but your eyes don't see things linearly so to you they look "a bit" brighter. Same with sound, make it twice as loud in watts and it's actually only 3 decibels louder..

Anyone know what the "rally" spec bulbs are like that Halfords sell. It says not for road use, but did wonder how much brighter they were. Tempted to try a set.

Not tried the Halfords ones but I have got some Phillips Rally bulbs, which are very bright. You might get into bother with those from the law, which is hardly surprising given they are 100W :lol:

They go off quick though (dim down). They're just regular halogens and aren't as good as modern bulbs with clever gases.

Thanks last thing I want is gay lights:camp:

Will go down the looms and bulbs route see how I get on.

Thanks

You didn't read the link then mate! Actual headlight bulbs, not twinkly sidelight markers..

I think a chap called MysticBlue spent a lot of time and effort on it.

Hmmm... that'd be me, MysticBlue indeed, pfff... anyway, I stuck a set of bi-thingee HIDs in and couldn't get anything resembling a clean beam pattern with the Corrado, the same set was better in a Mk 2 GTi. I don't think the anti-glare shields in the Corrado headlights help with that. The problem with HIDs is that they all vary slightly, the exact position of the light source within the bulb is crucial and unlikely to match the original halogen bulb, which is what it needs to do. I know some folk on the forum have fitted aftermarket HID kits 'successfully', but I've never seen a clean beam shot of one.

Uprated looms and good bulbs, the Philips uprated ones work well, are pretty damn good to be honest. The 'right' way to fit HIDs would be to install a full retrofit with genuine HID projectors - you can buy them at reasonable prices from the US - probably bonded into the original reflectors and with clear glass lenses, not the ribbed standard ones. That - if you were up to it and could find clear lenses, maybe aftermarket ones if you have an early 'rado, harder if you have a later one - would give you close to OE HID lighting, but it would be a proper faff to do.

The main problem seems to be finding clear lenses, sanding the ribs off isn't viable, so either you need to make your own using lexan or similar, or find pre-made aftermarket ones, which seems to be a problem for later Corrado headlights.

So anyway, for me an uprated loom and good bulbs works pretty well, though I may revisit the idea of proper HID retrofit if I find myself with a lot of spare time and energy.

It is an mot faliure to run HID in no projetor style head lights!

All cars except honda have a domed headlight that the HID sit in and it has the pattern shape so the light is controlled!

You can buy specific HID that have the light pattern shape intergrated in the HID lamp so you still have the pattern and can pass an MOT!

I had bi xenon lights on my astra h and they were amazing! the light out put was great!

What type of base do the corrado have for dipped beam?

Ok the HIDS idea is forgotten :thumbleft:

I will go down the loom and better bulbs route.

I will have a look at powerbulbs site and see what they are recommending:thumbleft: