Pat_McCrotch

FAO G60 owners...

I thought that was to do with some being fully open and some being closed - not the toe eye covers... maybe this was an issue originally then fixed with the fully open lower grill?

Are they referring to the towing eye covers?

No! Its refering to the grille part that runs along the whole width of the bumber in which the tow hook covers are rivited to.

it is the tow eye cover, heard about this when i had my first G60,i drilled three reasonable sized holes in the cover above the tow eye just incase.....

that's bizarre, not quite sure how removing one of those small covers is going to keep temps down,

is it 'left' as in nearside?, i.e. where the intercooler is, rather than obstructing flow to the radiator, the G60 intercooler always looked a bit small and awkwardly wedged in the corner.

I guess it was cheaper to remove some grille section than supply and fit a FMIC as a recall :)

that's bizarre, not quite sure how removing one of those small covers is going to keep temps down,

is it 'left' as in nearside?, i.e. where the intercooler is, rather than obstructing flow to the radiator, the G60 intercooler always looked a bit small and awkwardly wedged in the corner.

I guess it was cheaper to remove some grille section than supply and fit a FMIC as a recall :)

Except that is has some ducting to it from the front lower grille, the G60 rad support and N/S/F brake cooling duct are different to accomodate both the brake cooling duct and the intercooler ducting being installed in that position.

I agree that the towing eye covers seem to be the item refered to in the bulletin which would explain why that one is not fitted to my nugget. Although the outer edges of the lower radiator grilles are solid plastic, I did dremmel the O/S/F outer edge of my lower grille to get airflow over the charger side of the engine at speed in an attempt to improve cooling.

Given the huge oil temperatures which are common on non-aircon specification G60s (much smaller radiators) I would not be suprised if this was introducded in an effort to reduce under bonnet temperatures.

^ That's an original grill then Yan, new ones are fully open (like the upper ones)

Which reinforces my point that on those early cars it was a requirement to remove the towing eye cover from the side that there is not a towing eye for improved cooling..

I have just read some mags from the 1988 to 2000 and up to and including 1990 VW admitted that G60's did not have 160 horses, rather much lower. Some mags spoke of 145 and seriously slow acceleration that the claimed one. It was stated from VW in Sweden, that from 1991 and including that year, the G60 engined ones would be a lot better, that is over 160 horses. MagsI've read noted better that 1 second acceleration compared to earlier ones. Better NM too.

It also may be the reason why so many lacks that particular cover.

Very interesting, thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,

Redfox.

ps: so much more a reason to install a big Golf ic.

Edited by Redfox