Pat_McCrotch

CD Changer cable on Gamma IV radio?

I don't know the part number, I presume its going in the boot? If so its a 5 metre (ebay), Leon / Toledo have 6 disc changers in the glovebox (A3 dash), a lot less aggro feeding wires front to back of the car.

I run Gamma IV's in my Golf mk2 and my C. I use glovebox cd changers for both - one is a Sony cdx t69 with a Connects 2 adaptor and the other is the vw single din in dash changer connected using a cable from a 98 Passat found at a breakers. The Passat cable was for a boot mount changer but I cut it down and soldered the connections.

Both work well but I prefer the vw option as there's less wiring and no converter box to hide.

Slight problem :( Connected using Kufatec CD Changer cable linked above and VW CD Changer 6N0057111 and it's not working :(

The CD Changer powers up, but the cassette player just says "no CD" :(

Any confirmed OEM units that work?

I used to have one of the VW six-disc changers with a Gamma head unit in my Lupo. You could make the in-dash version fit if you cut up your centre console a bit - I've seen double-DIN conversions that look pretty good. Beware - there are two near-identical types of CD changer and they aren't the same! (the Beetle ones have different cable connections - it looks like the cable you bought might have been for one of these).

On the one you want there's a three-colour plug coming out of the changer like this:

connector.jpg

(pinout here). This plugs into the back of the Gamma, and there's a separate cable for illumination if it's going to be mounted in the glovebox or dash (part number is 6X0 051 734A - about £15 - never comes with the changer because people don't know it's there and leave it in the car. I only mention it in case future visitors need one, it's a really awkward number to find...) You then just need an extension cable for this plug to the back of the Gamma - I'm pretty sure there is a VW part for this but never looked it up since mine was in-dash. I think you want this one to mount it in the boot, but check the connections first!

You should be able to take your Gamma out and plug the changer directly into the back of it (floating free) just to test it - that would rule out the cable you bought. Beware: you may need the empty cable shells for the yellow and green portions of the plug (they snap together) because even though the pins aren't used for the changer the latch on the radio doesn't hold the cable very securely with only the blue portion inserted. Guess how I found that out ;)

That part number doesn't come up in Vagcat - any chance of the pic of the changer you're trying to use? Where are you mounting it? Mine was this one:

13571.jpg

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

@Pat_McCrotch: sorry to hear that - there are a couple of different models of changer alright - which one are you using and I'll compare with mine ? You will need to power one end of the cable and there is also an earth on the other end - the cable itself will not power the changer from the 10-pin red ISO connector. Some units will also only work with mini-ISO (as in the pics above), and you can get an adapter to convert between these.

Pat

As per previous post I'm running the exact same Gamma iv in a couple of cars. Best solution I found was from 98 or so b5 passat which ran Gamma iv (red iso 10 pin) with boot mounted cd changer.

I used the cable to power standard gamma in dash 6cd from a golf mkiv - you have to tap in to additional live feed at the head unit but straightforward. I found most vw audi skoda etc have the same connector at the cd changer.

Btw drop me a pm if you still have spare gamma iv's.

Hi all,

I tapped into the live feed on the radio connector which gives the unit power and the CD changer seems to read the disc but I just get 'no cd' from the radio :(

I am using part number 6N0057111 CD autochanger which is technically for the VW Polo Gamma (5?) radio from 2000-2002. Maybe thats the problem then :(

With power the changer will load and read discs whether it's attached to a head unit or not. 'No changer' means the serial connection between the two isn't working properly, 'no CD' could be the serial connection or a faulty changer not telling the Gamma it has discs in. Pics of the changer, cable and back of the Gamma would help.