devilmatt

Racing G60's?

Has anybody ever raced a G60 powered race car, Corrado or otherwise, in any series or championships? I know there have been a couple of Rados in the VW Cup but I think only VR6 and 16V powered. I don't recall ever seeing a golf or other VW with a G. I wonder if it's just a lack of engines and spares or whether its just not a good race engine. I know its down on power from the VR6 and slower acceleration, but I imagine that the weight reduction in the front end would make for better handling and corner speeds.

nope, just rally.

I think the VR6 was used was for the VW champs because it met the regulations and a G60 wouldn't due to their age.

To be honest I cant think of a G60 being used for any competitive racing.

It'd be nice to see a G60 racing in the pre 93 touring cars or something like that. Would be very intertesting to see how it would perform. I wonder if VRs and G60s have been at the same track days at any point and how the lap times would compare. Somewhere like Brands Hatch Indy would be a good tester.

Well ultimately the G60 is more tuneable than the VR6 (unless you slap a supercharger on it), so theoretically the G would be a better competition car. But that is not the be all and end all.

I was wondering how they would compare in almost standard guise. Series like the VW Cup don't allow a lot of tuning to be carried out on the engine. Although it doesn't say anything about charger pulley size in the regs. (hmmm). I think it would depend a lot on the track. Long straights would favour the bigger lump.

Oh. I see. That's fairly conclusive then. Maybe thats why theres never been a G60 racing in the VW cup. I thought they would've gone a bit easier on the G60 in the rules with the equivelancy factor, but they have it in the same category as the VR6 which means it has to be the same weight as far as I can gather.

Not knowing this really, I think the G60 is sometimes used in Germany for "bergrennen" or maoutain race on asphalt. Not sure though.

The VR6 is surely the more noseheavy of them, and that should give the G60 an edge. Not in quatermile or alike, but on a twisty track. The G60 delivers a NM almost the same but lower that the VR6. I think the G60 with a G75-ladder is a weapon to behold.

Just my 2-pence.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I didn't know that about the torque comparison. Just googled Bergrennen G60 and it came up with a couple of wicked little Polos running them. One looked like an old National Hotrod. I'd love to have seen a Corrado G60 up against a VR6 in the VW Cup but I think the days of seeing the older cars running at the front are gone. New Roccos and Beetles seem to be the order of the day now. Would still be good for the classics though.

Sorry no G60, but 16v's. Take a look at these:

Good Corrado racing!

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:11 PM ----------

And this one:

Cheers,

Redfox.

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

One more, and note how the Ferrari makes more noise thn it actually drives, and then compare it to the Corrado ;)

Redfox

That silver 16V sounds awesome! I see what you mean about the FXX. All mouth no trousers. I imagine it would be a different story on a circuit though. Or maybe with a decent driver. :)