rubberdubber

G60 supercharger gone bang!

a mate of mine bought a g60 yesterday, unfortunately on his way home the supercharger went boom.

hes not registered on here yet so has asked me to put a post up for some advise, basicly why has this happened? blocked oil feed or just worn out?

obviously it looks like its going to need a new supercharger, any advise on the best ones to purchase for reliability and cost?

cheers

832fbefe.jpg

38d5b57f.jpg

Did he have any service history or any proof of the charger being rebuilt in the past? Even though the engine itself is pretty bulletproof, the charger needs to be looked after and rebuilt/serviced every 15 to 30ish thousand miles depending on it's state of tune and from what it looks like it hasn't been rebuilt recently, the bearings and seals inside the casings have died and coincidentally charger goes pop. Check the oil feed line coming from the right side of the head to the right hand side of the charger, if this has died then the charger would have been starved of oil. even with all this does not change the fact you're gonna need a new charger as that is not repairable. You're probably looking at about 350-450 for a good condition/recently rebuilt charger second hand on the forum possibly, or give companies like g-werks or jabbasport a call as they stock their own rebuilt chargers. You won't be able to get one from the dealers anymore as they are obsolete (I think!) sad news, that sucks! Good luck mate.

That really sucks ............ not a good start to G60 ownership

when my old unit was diagnosed beyond repair it took me over a month to track down another G-ladder

i put up wanted ads on edition 38 and got a fair few offers but as soon as i asked some questions about their condition histoy ect they never got back to me so make sure you do ask allot of questions and dont throw you money away

In the end i got a spare charger from G-Werks they only had the one in stock back in July this year (stage 4 + fresh rebuild) £680 ....... i just couldnt find another good one at the time

there are 2 or 3 listed on ebay at present... some of the history is a bit dodgy from my inquiries, but you may be able to get one cheap... would also recommend checking the german ebay for them

you could also tell your mate that once its fixed be carefull not to over rev the engine or hit the rev limiter if possible , its bad for the charger

see alot of chavs sittting there bouncing thiers off the limiter ..then stuff like that happens

im not sure he's ever seen the limiter in his life :) he works for the council!! he bought one off ebay last night which hes going to get refurbed, cheers for the advice chaps!

I had that happen to me. A brand new NOS g60 blown up.

The little oil line to the charge clogged up :(

Which is why G-werks etc always recommended changing the oil feed too!