jacko

Front engine mount

Hey guys,

I just wanted to know your opinions on front engine mounts, the reason i ask is because in the last 12 months i have replace mine 3 times. The first 2 were cheapo £40 from euro that ended up bursting and leaking all their fuild rendering them usless so i forked out for a vibratecnics fast road mount. After fitting it i was amazed at how solid it made the car feel, i thought it was the best £130 id spent on the car. a month after fitting that and im getting a lot of engine movement again. when i come off the power i can feel the engine drop down where the rubber part has become soft.

Is there any reason why this keeps happening? Its not like its holding down a stupid amount of power (only a 2 litre) and id expect the VT mount to last a lot longer than a month!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you checked the two rear mount's? If they are tired there may be too much stress on the front under load.

I would be extremely surprised if a VT mount had failed so quickly. If it has, you should get a refund!

I would go with what lewvw suggested above- fitting just on uprated mount will almost certainly put stress on the others, especially if they are the originals or some crappy GSF pattern part.

Ive discovered what the problem was. it ended up being a bolt that had fallen out of the bracket that bolts onto the engine mount.

When the bolt fell out the engine moved enough to break the rad fan, bend the fan housing and ruin my reverse light swith

Ive replaced this bolt about 5 times now over the last couple of years but they keep falling out no matter how much threadlock i put on there.

Ive put a request in the wanted section as im guessing the thread is usless and is not holding the bolt anymore, i was thinking about welding the bolt in there so it will never escape again

Jacko, are you torquing that bolts up to the right amount when you replace it or just using a normal socket/spanner? That might be why it keeps coming out.

I think welding is a little OTT. It would be worth finding out what the problem is first. If it's the bolt I think you mean (bigger/fatter one underneath) it threads into the mount and not the cross-member.

If it keeps coming out of the VT mount, then you may have cross-threaded and damaged the mount as IIRC they're made from ali and the bolts will be steel.

I havent got a torque wrench yet (on the xmas list) so i just stick my breaker bar on it and put every bit of weight i have into it. smuthered it in thread lock too but it still falls out

enginemount.jpg its bolt 10 in the pic.

I was going to try and put a nut on the other end but its just not long enough

I have a secondhand Vibratechnics front engine mount to fit (thanks CazzaVR!). What torque setting do I need to use?

cheers

Chris

I just went with what the bentley says for the original which is 60nm top and 55nm for the bottom