adam164

The best 6x9 speakers are...

I'm after a set to give car some ooomph in the rear. The car hi-fi place wired (I'm sure for a laugh) the ones that are in the car at present, to be honest, a pair of bean cans would sound better.

I'm thinking JL as I have JL components in the front, but what have you lot got on the parcel shelf? Anyone got them on a stealth shelf?

Sort the sound out where you're sitting .... up front.

With some half decent components and even just upgrading the standard rear speakers, you should get some pretty good results.

Sort the sound out where you're sitting .... up front.

With some half decent components and even just upgrading the standard rear speakers, you should get some pretty good results.

Don't cut up a parcel shelf to shove 6x9s in, VR6 is correct a setup of decent components upfront and replace the 15w rear standard items with something newer that is closer to 50w makes a difference.

If you want more bass then go for a sub and not down the 6x9 route.

if after reading the above you do still want 6x9's btw then at least buy my parcel self off me and sell your nice un-cut one on to someone who needs it! :lol:

seriously though, i just replaced my shelf for an unmolested one and changed the front door and rear pillar speakers. The difference in sound quality is profound! those 6x9's i had hooked up where powerful but all the noise was in the ears of my passengers in the back... not at the front of the car where i was. I was considering re trimming the underside of the self or the rear wheel arches with two small subs but they would take up to much room... You'd end up with no boot to speak of.

Correctamundo.

You may find that you have to cut the parcel shelf supports to accommodate better speakers in the rear (due to bigger magnets usually). But it's a piece of cake and completely hidden ... so simple to reverse as well, not that you'd ever want to.

Thanks again, chaps. Once I finish work at 9.30, I'll be on t'internet looking for a good pair. With the money saved not buying the 6x9s & stealth shelf, might treat myself to a little four channel amp to power it all. Once this is all done, just get the ignition switch sorted & I'll be able to listen to muzak with a beaming grin on my face!

We could start talking about Audiscape door pods up front and fitting a set of 6.5" components to really beef it up. But that would just be cruel ;)

We could start talking about Audiscape door pods up front and fitting a set of 6.5" components to really beef it up. But that would just be cruel ;)

Yes that would! Already crossed my mind for next year. Now where's that piggy bank...