liamtg60

No Charge

my heads up my ass now....... my car will not hold its charge, the battery is new and the alternator was tested and is fine.

am i right in thinking that if the starter solenoid is sticking on then it will eventually drain the battery down dead like a faulty battery or alternator would????

someone please help me before i set fire to my car and roll it off a cliff

boot light?

---------- Post added at 03:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

my starter motor has been bit troublesum lately. Some days cars been hard to start.

If I charge the battery the car will just about start but it struggles like fook.

Then while driving about after 6-8 miles the lights will dim, the stereo will turn itself off, the mfa stops functioning, the the instruments fail completely then it cough splutters and the car finally dies

Check the main battery leads,especially the earth,if the battery and alternator are good there must be a problem getting the charge between the two !

Does your battery light come on ? (does it come on before you start it up)

Boot light ! a light that comes on automatically when the boot is opened,Vr6 was implying it might be staying on ! your symptons sound more severe then this !

Good luck

Since the battery is the new item in the circuit.....How about just charge the battery up on a charger and leave standing. See it it is holding its charge. ie. after a few hours off charge at 4 hours it should settle at around 12.75 volts cos its new. If lower at say 12.25 volts after 8 hours, then the battery is internally discharging. At least you can eliminate the battery one way or the other.

Edited by RW1

yeah thanks will do that.

as for the battery light it comes on turn of the key and goes off then comes on during driving untill the battery dies out

voltage during tick over across aternator is around 12-14 ish

Edited by liamtg60

I had the same problem on a Mk1 MR2. I also had the alternator checked and was told it was fine however barring any other drain faults I replaced it, 3 times with recon ones before it worked. The symptoms do suggest alternator so thats were I would look first. Have you replaced the alternator?

Andy

no but i did test it when the car was starting and it was fine. since the car has stopped turning over even with a full battery so just waiting for new starter to be delivered in the morning

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

if thats not it then it must be the alternator im hoping not because ive spent a small fortune this month

its not the starter lol i hate this car

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:34 PM ----------

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i had same prob with mine,turned out to be my alpine stereo.i took a live off the key to the stereo and it sorted it

just had a volt meter on battery its reading 11.5 whilst running so my educated guess says the problems in the alternator

Before changin the alternator you should look at the alternator brushes.... Maybe thats all you need and alot less money (about £20)

yeah i was going to take it off the car tonight and take it down to acorn auto electrics near mine to bench test it. If i can save money im going to the cars had hundreds spent on it this month

On the g60 is very easy to check the brushes... On the back of the alternator where the wires go there is two philips screws just take them out (might be easier said then done) and the brushes should come out... Not shure how long they should be but new ones are around 2cm long

are the brushes a professional job or is it easy enough to do???

---------- Post added at 09:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:15 PM ----------

answered thanks

yes they are gone 3mm on one 1-2mm on other

---------- Post added at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 PM ----------

its not contacting on one side

I had the same exact problem on my g60... Changed brushes all done

There prob different on a G60 but where did you get the regulator from?

---------- Post added at 10:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

Lol. There you go... Now take back what you said about your car "stupid car"

hahaha im just glad ive got to the bottom of it.... good car lol