luke w

Rattles inside the driver's door

Ever since owning my C I've had a constant rattle inside the driver's door which annoys the hell out of me. I've replace the door striker pins for new ones and fitted new foam inside the door, but it's still there and getting worse. I think I've narrowed it down to the door pull linkage that goes from the interior door pull to the door catch. The linkage has a lot of slack in it, so much so that I'm having to pull the door pull almost 90 degrees before it pops open the door. Is there a way of adjusting the amount of slack in the linkage or is it easy to replace with new parts?

there are a couple of things to to here - firstly, stick a thick pad of foam behind the door linkage, that will take up teh slack. The other areas are where it attaches to the door handle. Take the door handle off and remove it from the linkage. Then wrap the end with a thin layer of loom tape (fabric one not self amalgamating. Refit and job done. before putting teh panel back on,strike the door from teh outside to see if you can hear anything. Chances are there will be one or two stray rattles - use some self adhesive felt on those. Best of luck - chasing rattles is a slippery slope though, i'm obsessed and I still cant bottom out a few!

I had a similar thing to do with my passenger door. It turned out to be loads of broken glass inside the bottom of the door where it had been broken into at some point in its life!