JJS

Who knows? To store or not to store.

So the more I read on here it does seem that many of you sell a Corrado and then eventually come back and buy another. I do love my Storm but after 6 years I've had an itch and wanted to try something else for a few years. The market is not the best so although there has been interest i think i've spent more time enjoying discussing the great cars with potential buyers than i've had serious offers. To that end it's making me think more about storing the car & trying a few others out, (really fancy an R32, decent Mk4 would do).

So does anyone else on here know the pro's and cons of storing a corrado? I dont have a clue. I guess i can register SORN for storing it and it would be covered and garaged. What should you then do? Insure it off road and start it up once every couple of weeks? Will it do i more harm than good not to run it around? how much less is insurance?

As she's a Storm (I know, just a VR6 with a badge! :o) ) she'll still hopefully hold a value in years to come so i'm not worried about that too much, just how to store her in the best way while I work out that nothing else is actually that great but at least i'll have had fun trying other cars and then still have the Corrado to come back to.

Any advice please from anyone who has or is doing something similar?

Jon

I've parked mine up after buying an S4, but I'm not liking it lying up. Started her and she was on 4 cylinders because of damp and discs are already got surface rust, even tho in an aired garage. I hate her being parked up, but insurance is too expensive because of no spare NCB.

As much as the Audi is absolutely amazing, I miss the sheer chuckability and simplicity of the Corrado. And for those that think a Corrado is expensive to maintain, try an Audi!

I start my engine once every few weeks and run it to temperature and up and down the drive, revving a bit when hot. Not ideal, but I much prefer that than not at all. I make sure I operate everything on the car, lights, wipers, sunroof, spoiler, locks, bonnet, rad fans and so on. I do miss driving it tho.

Plenty of advice if you do a search on how to store a c . Yes you can sorn her [new rules though dvla on line ] will tell you whats what .as said do a search ,loads of advice.

thanks for your experience on this Jamie. I'll be doing some searching on here robrado as you suggest but will still be interesting to hear what others also have to say about it if they haven't posted before Cheers. Jon

I wouldnt worry about surface rust on the discs, it happens to new cars on the forecourts even happens on mine after a rain shower when car has been stood.

I was advised not to start the car every so often, if youre storing it for a longer period just leave it and dont start it.

Im in a bit different situation but, when I came to this country (8 years ago) ive left my two g60 in a garage. One is complete in parts, the other one is all good. Every year when I go there on holiday it starts straight away no problems, of corse the tyres are no good anymore, but when I do go back for real it will need a major service and a few other bits. There are many ways how to store a car but if youre going to store it for a few years then the major worry is to be in a good garage.

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

I was advised not to start the car every so often, if youre storing it for a longer period just leave it and dont start it.

Yep. Starting an engine and not driving it anywhere is the worst thing you can do, as is storing a car in a damp garage.

my rado's been stored in a garage and SORN for the last 8 ish years.... as long as it's not costing you too much and you don't need the cash for another motor i'd say do it......

With Sorn you just get a letter from the DVLA every year, asking if you want to tax it or you have to make another years decleration of SORN. Most insurance companies if your straight with them wont insure it on a standard policy without a MOT and tax so you may want to have a laid/ layed up policy..... anything from £40 - £100 a year. which basically covers you for accidental damage / fire / zero mileage / and trailer insurance.

mine's just sitting in the garage with the hand brake off, chocked and in gear...... I'm not worried about tyres and battery condition other than charging every so often as when she see's day light again both will be service items which i will change...

my cars covered as you be surprised the damage that happens when people just brush past the car on a regular basis.

I've I had to do this to my car over the past 1-2 years, The car didn't like it but that's only because i don't have a garage. If you have a garage however then there is a few simple things that will ensure your car could sit up for years with no ill effects.

• Make sure the garage is dry and well ventilated.... A sealed garage with no ventilation may cause condensation.
  • Clean your car, get it as clean as possible and then polish her up. Make sure the cills and wheel arches are clean
  • Perform and oil and filter change.
  • park the car up in the garage when she's dry and get her off the wheels. Leave the wheels off while your storing as if you leave the car on the wheels without moving the car you can damage the tyres.
  • Make sure the petrol tank is nearly empty. You could drain the tank but it's not that important... just make sure the cars not full of fuel. Over time petrol looses it's punch and becomes less eager to ignite, after a year or so the car might not be able to burn the fuel in the tank.
  • Disconnect the battery and get it out onto a trickle charger. A good trickle charger shouldn't over charge the battery which is important because an over charged battery gives off oxygen and Hydrogen gas... If it's a sealed battery this can build up and go BANG.
  • Spray all untreated metal parts with oil (WD40 would do...) to prevent rust. This includes brake disks and suspension.
  • Leave the hand brake off...
  • Leave the car windows open slightly... again this prevents condensation forming in the car.
  • slacken all the non essential belts (power steering, alternator etc.)
  • Oil you car locks in the doors and boot
  • Cover the car with a breathable car cover.

That should be you for a few years then.... Just remember take your time starting her again... Kev was right. Cars don't like stop/start operation, the oil only works after a few miles of driving so starting her up could do more harm than good. If you want to start the car up after more than a month or so I would remove the spark plugs and disconnect the fuel system and then hand turn the engine (socket on the cam pulley) for a few minuets. Then reconnect everything and check the fluid levels before plugging in a battery.

good luck!

Great advice guys, thanks. Really appreciate the details or what to do as i haven't a clue. I did store a Mk1 Golf Gti once while i was away travelling for 6 months and the car started first time with no ill effects but the Corrado is a different beast. I'm starting to like the idea of this now. Just need to persuade the old man to get rid of his Mk2 Jag so i can put the Corrado in his garage.

Great advice guys, thanks. Really appreciate the details or what to do as i haven't a clue. I did store a Mk1 Golf Gti once while i was away travelling for 6 months and the car started first time with no ill effects but the Corrado is a different beast. I'm starting to like the idea of this now. Just need to persuade the old man to get rid of his Mk2 Jag so i can put the Corrado in his garage.

just use his jag as the daily while the precious corrado is laid up :lol:

Not a bad idea that Alex, he never uses the bloody thing. Next time they are out of the country I'll take the jag out and stick the corrado under his cover! Sure he won't notice. Joking aside storing for a couple of years May work out a treat for me. Cheers for the detailed advice all.