Critical_Mass

Laquer peel - remedy?

Hi all,

Noticed some spots (dunno why they've come up in half a dozen spots) of laquer peel on my bonnet. Short of getting it repainted. Is there anything i can do to sort this. Possibly rub it down with some fine wet and dry and respray and buff?

Is that optimistic of me?

2000 is a bit extreme! 1200 should be fine, with some water. Then when the new and old paint are seemlessly flatted in, you can then get the polish out. I quite like G3 compound myself, but even Autoglym cutting polish or T cut would work, which are easier to get hold of (Halfords).

Right managed to finally get this started. so far ive feathered the edges of the peel and put 4-5 coats of laquer on. But its a very dull, rough finish... will this be ok once i get some cutting compound on it?

sorry Ryan i forgot to get some pics of the peel. To be honet you can still see the patches now, but at least the paintwork is now sealed and not open to the elements. Still as long as it lasts until i can get a front end respray done.

Edited by Critical_Mass

you will have to wetsand with 1500-2000 then cut n buff that dull rough finish, btw the way you have done this you will allways see the patchs where the clear coat peeled off, the only way to make it an invisible repair is to feather the edges back like you did but then you would re base and blend out with basecoat {the cars colour} and then re clear the whole panel/ bonnet in one go so it seals it all in, basecoat {the cars colour coat } doesnt get sanded at all, if you sand an area of basecoat it looks different when the clears put on top and basicaly that area sticks out, and thats the reason them patchs where the clear peeled off will allways look different, even if you had a bodyshop spray the clearcoat them areas would still look different, also another factor to take into consideration is UV breakdown , modern clearcoats stop fadeing and with the clearcoat being gone in that area it would of been affected to some extent by UV ..