Sign in to follow this  
LJ

Trolley jacked petrol tank fix?

Hi Guys

My first post as a C owner. Recently acquired a '92 G60 that needs some "restoration".

Whilst getting the car up on axle stands to replace the rear discs and bearings I noticed that the petrol tank has been crushed from underneath!!! It looks like a trolley jack has been used towards the front of the tank. The rear beam looks undamaged.

Could explain why the fuel gauge doesn't work!! When I bought the car I thought it would just be a case of replacing the sender unit :-(

Anyone know if it's possible to push the tank back into shape from inside of it or do I have to get a new tank .... any ideas how much that would cost? Guess scrappie would be my best option.

LJ[/img]

Tanks on Corrados were all plastic... If it's been crushed, replace it... If you try to straighten it, it'll crack/split and if you don't it's already very much weakened by being crushed and isn't particularly safe... :|

Henny, I was clinging to the faint hope that it might flex back into shape :-(

I'll see how much VW want for a new tank and its straps, for a laugh!

Hoping I can get the job done myself, if it ever stops poxy raining when I get time.

Having to work on the car outside is no fun.

Should be able to empty the tank by powering the pump, but disconnecting the fuel feed from the engine bay?

Thanks for the words of wisedom.

LJ

'92 G60 - The Restoration Project

Henny, I was clinging to the faint hope that it might flex back into shape :-(

Sorry... :|

I'll see how much VW want for a new tank and its straps, for a laugh!

Make sure you're sat down at the time! ;)

Hoping I can get the job done myself, if it ever stops poxy raining when I get time.

Having to work on the car outside is no fun.

IIRC it's not too dificult to drop the tank out on a 'rado... and I can symapthise with the working outside in the rain bit too... ;)

Should be able to empty the tank by powering the pump, but disconnecting the fuel feed from the engine bay?

yeah.... That should work... there's a way of making the pump fire all the time by shorting 2 pins on the dizzy... I'll look it up when I get home.. it's much easier than messing around with the relays/fusebox! ;)

Thanks for the words of wisedom.

Anytime... 8) Keep an eye out on the for sale section, (and put up a wanted ad too!) I'd bet that there's someone on here who has, or knows of, a second hand tank going for not a lot... 8)

Luckily I was sitting down. Local VW dealer quoted either £174 or £199 depending on chassis number for the petrol tank. Ouch!

The fuel gauge doesn't work, so I got the price of the sender unit as well. Well VW said it's all one unit included with the lift pump with a totally nice price of £105 for that!! I thought only the VR6 had a lift pump .... ah well, mucho cost. A trip to PSD gets that bit further away :-(

I knew I shouldn't have sold my old much modifed G60 to get married.

Henny, If you could get the details on firing the pump all the time, that would be extremely useful.

Guess I'll be putting ad's in the Wanted section very soon.

I didn't think to check the fuel tank when I bought the car ....

LJ

'92 G60 Restoration Project

does the dent it the tank have any white stress marks on it??

if it does you would probably crack the tank if you pushed it back out

if no white stress marks i would try emptying the tank and heating the dent and area around it then gently push it back out i

i work as a plastics fabricator and we heat and bend sheets and pipes all the time

i work with mainly polyethylene and polyprop don't know what the tank is made from but if its a thermoplastic you'll be amazed at how far it will go without breaking with the help of a little heat 8)

If you need to empty a G60 tank.

- Disconnect the coil lead.

- Pull the fuel pump relay.

- Put 12v on pin 4 where the relay was.

The fuel pump should now be pumping away.

This emptied my old trolley'd tank no problem.

Thanks to Henny for the above advice.

LJ

G60 Restoration project

I really wouldnt advise putting any heat towards a fuel tank, even if emptied. As their will always be some fuel or vapours trapped in there somewhere, and it could result in the tank blowing up!!!! (I suppose a small explosion could push the dent out, but more likely just damage your raddo! Try explaining that one to the insurance company!!)

Luckily I was sitting down. Local VW dealer quoted either £174 or £199 depending on chassis number for the petrol tank. Ouch!

That's not as bad as I thought it would be. £174 is prolly the 12.1 gallon tank and £199 is obviously the later car's 15 gallon jobbie.

Was expecting at least £300 for a tank!

K

once the tank is empty put some water in the old tank before you drop it, for safety