G60_edge

Which VAG-COM

Anybody?

The ross-tech stuff looks considerable more expensive, what's the difference?

Thanks

I bought the HEX+CAN lead years ago and have scanned dozens of VAGs of all ages without a single glitch. That's the difference. The Rosstech stuff just works, period! :D Another benefit is it's dongle lead, so you can connect it to any computer running VCDS and you won't need a license.

The 20VT ECU has 100s of maps and a tonne of diagnostic info, so I wouldn't skimp on the lead personally.

ive got the HEX+CAN, was well worth the money, like Kev, scanned a number of cars, never had a single problem... paid for its self several times over...

Best bit of kit I've bought in years :D It's diagnosed our 2006 polo, a mate's A4 2.5TDI, my Mum's 2010 Polo, a VW Fox, my C, a few MK5 Golfs the list goes on!

The 2.5TDI was the best one. He was complaining of wayward throttle behaviour and the power shutting off abruptly, limiting his speed. A trip out with the laptop on my lap soon revealed the problem. The boost control valve was shot, allowing overboost. You could see the 'allowed' overboost time being exceeded and then throttle closing from 100% to 60% :D Clever stuff and explained all his symptoms.

Absolutely vital bit of kit for any Post 94 VW imo....

I just bought a fault code reader from ebay after going through 3 rotten cables. It's basic, but it reads fault codes, which is all I need most of the time. £30 well spent.

Rosstecch all the way, not cheap but works. Before that I bought two from ebay and couldn't make them work at all. It's one time investment and you can use it on every single vag car, simples :)

I would save that money... Vcds licence for $99 and a usb cable from ebay for £20. Ive used mine in any car across the vag range and sometimes I use it at work. Yes, if you want to use it for proper diagnostics including messuring block that require live data then yes, ross tech hardware is much better (faster). There are some drawbacks from the usb cable from ebay, like some proplems communicating with abs brakes (can be solved very easy). But for a diyer and for some basic fault reader and pretty much everything, very good.

i have the older cable without the USB end - is there any adapter that is available that works?

I've got a fully licensed version of VAGCOM that i bought from Ross Tech's UK distributor at the time (Cister Automotive, who i believe dont exist any more) , but the laptop is slowly dying, plus i think my version only scans up to 2006 cars.

I would save that money... Vcds licence for $99 and a usb cable from ebay for £20. Ive used mine in any car across the vag range and sometimes I use it at work. Yes, if you want to use it for proper diagnostics including messuring block that require live data then yes, ross tech hardware is much better (faster). There are some drawbacks from the usb cable from ebay, like some proplems communicating with abs brakes (can be solved very easy). But for a diyer and for some basic fault reader and pretty much everything, very good.

I'd want to check my DBW throttle (which I imagine is getting into the measuring block) and run the DBW calibration, would the lite version do this?